Charlotte Bell’s most recent book, “Yoga for Meditators,” focuses specifically on the physical aspects of practicing meditation.
“Asana practice, by its very nature, is about preparing the body for meditation,” Bell says in the book’s introduction. “So a book on yoga for meditators may seem redundant.”
However, the book offers a collection of poses (asanas) that Bell says “I have found to be optimal in addressing the specific physical challenges that arise during meditation.”
The 128-page book is packed with useful information. Bell’s writing style is straightforward and easy to follow.
A brief introduction gives some background on yoga and shares the reasons for writing the book.
In the first of four main sections, “Taking a Seat: Steady and Comfortable,” Bell describes the physical requirements for practicing effective meditation, ending with a few paragraphs on how intention and action affect the meditator’s experience.
Section two, “Yoga Poses for Sitting Meditation,” offers a detailed description of how to assume each pose. Bell summarizes the benefits of each and points out cautions and suggestions for helpful props to get the most benefit from the poses. The illustrations of each pose are helpful.
Some yoga “FAQ” and sequences for specific purposes, such as “for calming agitation,” comprise section three, “Practicing Yoga.”
The last section, “Alternate Meditation Postures,” shares ideas for meditating while walking, standing or lying down. A list of resources and an index are included.
Those with some yoga background and meditating experience will find it a useful addition to their library.
Bell will present a reading and demonstration at a book signing on June 2 at 6 p.m. at Weller Book Works, Trolley Square, Salt Lake City.
If you go ...
What: Charlotte Bell book signing
When: Saturday, June 2, 6 p.m.
Where: Weller Book Works, Trolley Square, 665 E. 600 South, Salt Lake City
Rosemarie Howard lives in a 100-year-old house on Main Street, Springville, Utah. She enjoys creating multimedia projects. Her website is at www.dramaticdimensions.com.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- How new research on chemicals in household...
- The rough road of single motherhood —...
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Wacky 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman' makes history...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 36
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 12
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- The rough road of single motherhood... 10
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 9
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 8
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation... 8
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,... 7