Former USU football player Chris Randle signs with Calgary Stampeders
Former Utah State football player Chris Randle has signed to play with the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League the team announced Tuesday.
"I'm very thankful that the Calgary Stampeders gave me the opportunity to continue my football career," Randle said. "It's been rough not playing but I'm blessed for this opportunity. I'm excited to get back on the field and will be proud to represent Utah State football."
Randle signed a free agent deal with the Dallas Cowboys in July, 2011, but was later cut after going through training camp.
Randle, a native of Merced, Calif. (Golden Valley HS), was a four-year letterwinner and two-year starter at USU from 2007-10. He made 27 career starts in 43 career games played, including all 12 games of both his junior and senior seasons. He posted 154 total tackles (112 solo, 42 assists) with three tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks. He posted 19 pass break-ups in his four years and snared four interceptions. In 2010, he ranked 10th in the WAC and 79th in Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) with 10 passes defended (eight PBU’s and two INT’s). Randle was a fourth-team Phil Steele’s College Football Preview all-WAC selection after the 2010 season.
The Stampeders posted an 11-7 record in 2011 and a berth in the West Division semifinal.
With Randle's signing with Calgary, he becomes the third former USU player in the CFL, joining running back Dennis Jerome (BC Lions) and quarterback Anthony Calvillo (Montreal Alouettes). The Stampeders open the 2012 season on June 15 against Edmonton.
Utah State football season ticket renewals and new sales for the 2012 season are available. Renewals are available online 24 hours a day at www.UtahStateAggies.com and clicking on the "buy/renew tickets" under the "tickets" drop down menu. Fans interested in new sales should contact the USU Ticket Office at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum or by phone by calling 1-888-USTATE-1 or (435) 797-0305.
Fans can follow the Aggie football program at twitter.com/USUFootball or on the USU football blog at usufootball.wordpress.com. Aggie fans can also follow the Utah State athletic program at twitter.com/USUAthletics or on facebook at Utah State University Athletics.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24