Mormon Media Observer: Are Mormons really more successful in business?
I needed to follow up on a recent column praising the idea that more journalists should consult what the Book of Mormon actually says. A recent editorial in the Washington Post by Michelle Boorstein is about the best article I have ever seen that follows this form. I urge you to glance at it.
In it, Boorstein explores LDS beliefs about America’s important role in the world. The article explores LDS history and discusses what the Book of Mormon says. It describes Glenn Beck’s brand of conservatism in mostly neutral, respectful ways.
I urge a glance at the article.
I was also struck this week by the continual power of the Book of Mormon to surprise.
In another recent column, I talked about how we need to be cautious of using the Book of Mormon as glib support for our political views. I used the example of taxation in warning against such glibness.
With the help of a colleague and my own Sunday School reading, I just reread a verse, Mosiah 21:17, that enhanced and expanded my knowledge of taxation in the Book of Mormon. It jumped out at me.
Read it sometime and see if it does what the Book of Mormon always does for me — frame some of my assumptions in new, thoughtful ways.
I think I’m nearing the 50th time through the Book of Mormon, if not more. It’s only becoming more amazing.
What a book.
Lane Williams teaches journalism and communications at BYU-Idaho. He is a former journalist whose scholarly interests include Mormon portrayals in the media, media and religion and religion and politics.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Defending the Faith: The very surprising...
- Watch: LDS bishop featured in 'Meet the...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple cart
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 108
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 39
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 39
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 38
- Defending the Faith: The very... 23
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they... 17
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple... 12