Courtesy of Spring City
SPRING CITY, Sanpete County — Called one of America's prettiest towns by ForbesTraveler in 2009, Spring City has attracted artists for decades.
Located just off Highway 89, between Mt. Pleasant and Ephraim, this city is named for the spring running through the center of town. In the late 1970s, Spring City was designated as a national historic district. Since then over 50 pioneer-era homes and buildings have been restored here, some of which have been honored with a Utah Heritage Award.
Each year, in an effort to raise money to continue restoration efforts, Spring City hosts fundraising events in honor of "Heritage Day," which is celebrated the Saturday before Memorial Day. This year's Heritage Day falls on May 26.
"This year has seen great strides towards completing the restoration of the historic Spring City School. The Friends of Historic Spring City are thrilled to be partnering with the Spring City Corporation on a substantial grant and loan through the CIB," Spring City officials said in a news release. "At last, after nearly 30 years of work, our dream of restoring the old school is going to be a reality — so we are eager to make this year's event a big success."
Fundraising activities for Heritage Day will include an art and antique sale, "Art Squared" auction and tours of the pioneer-era homes and buildings on and around Main Street. Tickets for the tour will cost $10 for adults, $5 for children and are sold at the Old Spring City School and Main Street Firehouse. A local ward from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will offer breakfast and lunch at the city bowery.
"Art Squared" will be a silent auction of paintings, done on 12-by-12-inch masonite squares. The event was started several years ago by artist Cassandria Parsons and will be run this year by her husband, John Parsons.
Additional artwork will be available for sale in the Old Spring City School and local galleries, and artists Lee Bennion and Brian Kershisnik will complete the "Spring City Suite," a collector's series of 10 hand-pressed prints by selected artists, of which there are only 35 editions.
If you go
What: Heritage Day
Where: Spring City, Utah
When: May 26
8-10 a.m. Breakfast
9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Art and antique sale
10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Home tours
Noon - 1:30 p.m. Lunch
2 p.m. Art Squared auction closes
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Two powerful forces make American families...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- 14 potential signs of autism you may be...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Two powerful forces make American... 19
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 9
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 6
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 6
- Bills aim to bring marriage, family law... 4
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Many adults delay parenthood for these... 4