Blue roundup: Independence broadening Cougars' recruiting base
BYU's recruiting base is growing as a result of going independent, according to a report by Yahoo! Sports.
"The Cougars continue to recruit nationally with an emphasis on their home state and the rest of the West," writes Steve Megargee. "And they're naturally targeting top players who also belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That's the same formula BYU followed as a member of the Mountain West Conference. But the switch certainly has widened BYU's pool of potential targets, particularly among non-LDS recruits. That's becoming more and more noticeable to BYU's coaches as they prepare for their second season as an independent."
Phil Steele previews BYU's upcoming season. Steele has the Cougars ranked No. 35 in the preseason.
BYU faces Washington State in the season-opener on Thursday, Aug. 30. Cougfan.com remembers the last time BYU and WSU met in the season-opener — in Provo in 1989.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37