Blue roundup: Independence broadening Cougars' recruiting base
BYU's recruiting base is growing as a result of going independent, according to a report by Yahoo! Sports.
"The Cougars continue to recruit nationally with an emphasis on their home state and the rest of the West," writes Steve Megargee. "And they're naturally targeting top players who also belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That's the same formula BYU followed as a member of the Mountain West Conference. But the switch certainly has widened BYU's pool of potential targets, particularly among non-LDS recruits. That's becoming more and more noticeable to BYU's coaches as they prepare for their second season as an independent."
Phil Steele previews BYU's upcoming season. Steele has the Cougars ranked No. 35 in the preseason.
BYU faces Washington State in the season-opener on Thursday, Aug. 30. Cougfan.com remembers the last time BYU and WSU met in the season-opener — in Provo in 1989.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33