Blue roundup: Independence broadening Cougars' recruiting base
BYU's recruiting base is growing as a result of going independent, according to a report by Yahoo! Sports.
"The Cougars continue to recruit nationally with an emphasis on their home state and the rest of the West," writes Steve Megargee. "And they're naturally targeting top players who also belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That's the same formula BYU followed as a member of the Mountain West Conference. But the switch certainly has widened BYU's pool of potential targets, particularly among non-LDS recruits. That's becoming more and more noticeable to BYU's coaches as they prepare for their second season as an independent."
Phil Steele previews BYU's upcoming season. Steele has the Cougars ranked No. 35 in the preseason.
BYU faces Washington State in the season-opener on Thursday, Aug. 30. Cougfan.com remembers the last time BYU and WSU met in the season-opener — in Provo in 1989.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19