TAYLORSVILLE — Mayor Russ Wall has been selected as Utah's top mayor for 2012 by Best of State magazine.
Wall, Taylorsville's mayor since 2006, was recognized for his leadership on transportation, environmental and economic development projects. He credited city employees and residents for the award.
"I am honored to be receiving an award that was won mostly through the works of my staff and volunteers," the mayor said.
Under Wall's leadership, Taylorsville has maintained its AA+ bond rating, which ranks among the highest in the state. Taylorsville also boasts the lowest cost of government per capita in the Utah, according to the Utah Taxpayers Association.
Recently, the mayor helped secure $4 million in state funding for design and engineering on a bus rapid transit project from Murray's Intermountain Medical Center to the Taylorsville campus of Salt Lake Community College.
Wall also introduced the city's Green Committee, a group of Taylorsville residents focused on educating others on ways to be green, save energy and recycle. The city also recently earned a "Tree City" designation, achieving one of the mayor's longtime goals.
The Best of State Awards were created to recognize outstanding individuals, organizations and businesses in Utah. The program judges individuals, businesses and organizations on excelling in their respective endeavors, using innovative approaches or methods and contributing to a better quality of life in Utah.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12