SALT LAKE CITY — Police are investigating an incident involving an off-duty Unified police officer who discharged his weapon.
The officer was off-duty and working security at a Deseret Industries, 131 E. 700 South, around 4 a.m. Thursday, Salt Lake police detective Carlie Wiechman said. A man entered the property and was confronted by the officer, leading to a physical altercation.
At one point, the officer's weapon fired. Wiechman said she could not elaborate as to whether the weapon went off intentionally or accidentally, citing the ongoing investigation.
No one was injured in the incident. The suspect was taken into custody soon after he attempted to flee.
Robert Young, 31, was arrested for investigation of trespassing, theft, resisting an officer and fleeing. Young told police he had entered the Deseret Industries property "to look for a radio to steal," a jail report states.
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House...
- February deemed a snowpack savior for...
- FBI investigating shooting of Fort Duchesne man
- Artifact vandalism near Moab a growing problem
- National, local businesses file briefs... 52
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 49
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 39
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 30
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 24
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23
- Birth father rights the focus of two... 22