SALT LAKE CITY — A 20-year-old man was hospitalized Wednesday after police say a man chased him and cut him with a samurai sword.
Police are still searching for the man suspected in the stabbing, Salt Lake police detective Carlie Wiechman said. The incident began at the Smith's at 910 E. 2100 South around 3 p.m.
"They didn't know each other," Wiechman said of the victim and suspect. "They just came out of the store and they got into a verbal altercation, but it was unclear why they started the fight."
At some point, the suspect retrieved what investigators described as a samurai sword and chased the victim across the street where he cut the man's leg.
"The victim sustained a substantial laceration to his leg and was transported to a local hospital," Wiechman said.
The suspect fled the scene and police said they are still working to identify the man Thursday. Wiechman said there was surveillance video they have been able to retrieve in an effort to determine who the suspect is.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Eagle Mountain residents told not to use city...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 78
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 37
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 29
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18