SALT LAKE CITY — A 20-year-old man was hospitalized Wednesday after police say a man chased him and cut him with a samurai sword.
Police are still searching for the man suspected in the stabbing, Salt Lake police detective Carlie Wiechman said. The incident began at the Smith's at 910 E. 2100 South around 3 p.m.
"They didn't know each other," Wiechman said of the victim and suspect. "They just came out of the store and they got into a verbal altercation, but it was unclear why they started the fight."
At some point, the suspect retrieved what investigators described as a samurai sword and chased the victim across the street where he cut the man's leg.
"The victim sustained a substantial laceration to his leg and was transported to a local hospital," Wiechman said.
The suspect fled the scene and police said they are still working to identify the man Thursday. Wiechman said there was surveillance video they have been able to retrieve in an effort to determine who the suspect is.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 42
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23