SALT LAKE CITY — A 20-year-old man was hospitalized Wednesday after police say a man chased him and cut him with a samurai sword.
Police are still searching for the man suspected in the stabbing, Salt Lake police detective Carlie Wiechman said. The incident began at the Smith's at 910 E. 2100 South around 3 p.m.
"They didn't know each other," Wiechman said of the victim and suspect. "They just came out of the store and they got into a verbal altercation, but it was unclear why they started the fight."
At some point, the suspect retrieved what investigators described as a samurai sword and chased the victim across the street where he cut the man's leg.
"The victim sustained a substantial laceration to his leg and was transported to a local hospital," Wiechman said.
The suspect fled the scene and police said they are still working to identify the man Thursday. Wiechman said there was surveillance video they have been able to retrieve in an effort to determine who the suspect is.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7