SALT LAKE CITY — A 20-year-old man was hospitalized Wednesday after police say a man chased him and cut him with a samurai sword.
Police are still searching for the man suspected in the stabbing, Salt Lake police detective Carlie Wiechman said. The incident began at the Smith's at 910 E. 2100 South around 3 p.m.
"They didn't know each other," Wiechman said of the victim and suspect. "They just came out of the store and they got into a verbal altercation, but it was unclear why they started the fight."
At some point, the suspect retrieved what investigators described as a samurai sword and chased the victim across the street where he cut the man's leg.
"The victim sustained a substantial laceration to his leg and was transported to a local hospital," Wiechman said.
The suspect fled the scene and police said they are still working to identify the man Thursday. Wiechman said there was surveillance video they have been able to retrieve in an effort to determine who the suspect is.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Pleasant View fire contained Saturday;...
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 14