The colors of the rainbow flying over St. George could mean more than a fun day flying kites in the sun. For the students in the Washington County area, a high-flying kite was a symbol of something quite significant. Students earned kites for meeting goals they’d set for reading.
For thirteen years, the Kite Festival at Sun River Golf Course, with the backing of Dixie Escalante Electric, has provided a reward for kids and a financial boost for their schools. This year the festival will raise approximately $30,000 for local schools. Over the festival’s 13 years it has raised more than $270,000 for the Washington County School Foundation.
An extra incentive at this year’s festival was one Kindle reader for each school in the area and a random drawing for teachers. The winner received a $1000 bonus for classroom materials.
Festival coordinator Joe McKeehan says this is just one day to celebrate three months of reading. He’s happy to provide an extra incentive to get students to read and refers to studies that show reading will help these children for the rest of their lives.
ULCT is a non partisan, inter-local, government cooperative, working to strengthen the quality of municipal government and administration. The League serves as a voice for Utah's 245 cities and towns at the county, state and federal level.
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- Study: Fathers as likely as mothers to kill...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 98
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 74
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24
- Moab's dilemma: Can recreation coexist... 23
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 14
- Southern Utah left wanting for water 11