The colors of the rainbow flying over St. George could mean more than a fun day flying kites in the sun. For the students in the Washington County area, a high-flying kite was a symbol of something quite significant. Students earned kites for meeting goals they’d set for reading.
For thirteen years, the Kite Festival at Sun River Golf Course, with the backing of Dixie Escalante Electric, has provided a reward for kids and a financial boost for their schools. This year the festival will raise approximately $30,000 for local schools. Over the festival’s 13 years it has raised more than $270,000 for the Washington County School Foundation.
An extra incentive at this year’s festival was one Kindle reader for each school in the area and a random drawing for teachers. The winner received a $1000 bonus for classroom materials.
Festival coordinator Joe McKeehan says this is just one day to celebrate three months of reading. He’s happy to provide an extra incentive to get students to read and refers to studies that show reading will help these children for the rest of their lives.
ULCT is a non partisan, inter-local, government cooperative, working to strengthen the quality of municipal government and administration. The League serves as a voice for Utah's 245 cities and towns at the county, state and federal level.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 129
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 16
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 13
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9