SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake County Planning Commission has given preliminary approval to a new location for the Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort mountain coaster, the resort announced Wednesday.
Snowbird initially proposed building a mountain coaster on the lower face of Mount Superior in Little Cottonwood Canyon, which at one point would have crossed the canyon road on a bridge over state Route 210. That plan was scrapped amid controversy over building in the environmentally sensitive canyon.
The new proposal calls for the mountain coaster to be located within Snowbird's existing developed resort footprint on private property with loading and unloading at the base of the Peruvian Express chairlift.
"We are excited to provide another form of summer recreation for our guests and Utah's growing population," Snowbird President Bob Bonar said in a prepared statement. "We feel today's approval is a result of listening to various stakeholders, community groups and neighbors as well as working with Salt Lake County and City to create a workable solution for all parties."
Detailed site plans and other governmental criteria will be required before the planning commission gives final approval to the proposal. Snowbird expects to begin the installation process this fall or in the spring of 2013.
Snowbird will open its existing summer activities Friday, June 8.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13