SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake County Planning Commission has given preliminary approval to a new location for the Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort mountain coaster, the resort announced Wednesday.
Snowbird initially proposed building a mountain coaster on the lower face of Mount Superior in Little Cottonwood Canyon, which at one point would have crossed the canyon road on a bridge over state Route 210. That plan was scrapped amid controversy over building in the environmentally sensitive canyon.
The new proposal calls for the mountain coaster to be located within Snowbird's existing developed resort footprint on private property with loading and unloading at the base of the Peruvian Express chairlift.
"We are excited to provide another form of summer recreation for our guests and Utah's growing population," Snowbird President Bob Bonar said in a prepared statement. "We feel today's approval is a result of listening to various stakeholders, community groups and neighbors as well as working with Salt Lake County and City to create a workable solution for all parties."
Detailed site plans and other governmental criteria will be required before the planning commission gives final approval to the proposal. Snowbird expects to begin the installation process this fall or in the spring of 2013.
Snowbird will open its existing summer activities Friday, June 8.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10