Courtesy of Park City Film Music Festival
PARK CITY — The ninth annual Park City Film Music Festival will take place May 25 through June 3 at the Egyptian Theatre on historic Main Street and the Prospector Lodge and Convention Center.
Highlights of the festival include a three-session workshop on basic orchestration and composition techniques for film music, screenings of films in competitions, and screenings of invited films and past winners. These films feature music by noted film composers Neil Argo ("Legends of Nethiah"), Ryan Rapsys ("Holiday Beach"), Jason Staczek ("Keyhole") and Mark McKenzie ("El Gran Milagro").
Hummie Mann, an acclaimed composer/arranger and two-time Emmy Award winner, will present the three workshop sessions on May 26 and 27. Mann will aim his remarks at members of the general public as well as fellow film composers and aspiring composers.
Mann, who spoke at the 2007 festival, is enthusiastic about the festival's unique focus on composer contributions to film.
"It's great to have a festival for film music," Mann said. "I applaud what they're doing. I think more people could recognize that there's some great music being written for film. It's an important contribution to American culture."
The festival will award Best Impact of Music in Film Competition honors in five categories: full-length feature film, documentary, short film, music documentary and music film. In addition, there are Director's Choice, Audience Choice and Jury Choice awards.
The 2012 Distinguished Artist Award will be given to Conrad Pope, who contributed to "Pirates of the Caribbean," "The Matrix" and "Memoirs of a Geisha." He also wrote the score to "The Presence" (rated PG-13), a film invited to be screened at the festival. Pope was most recently recognized for his score to "My Week with Marilyn" (rated R), which will be screened following the 6:30 p.m. award ceremony on May 26 at the Prospector.
What: Park City Film Music Festival
When: May 25-June 3
Where: Egyptian Theatre and the Prospector Lodge in Park City
How much: $5 to $350, depending on type of ticket
Tickets and registration: www.pcfmf.com
- These touching Christmas ads will melt any...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- Seasonal stagings: Area theaters host holiday...
- BYUtv docudrama 'Joan of Arc' shares...
- 'Music and the Spoken Word': When Christmas...
- Salt Lake chef wins round in 'Holiday Baking...
- Coloring books offer adults something they...
- Lexi Walker performs arrangement of 'Ave...
- Steve Eaton: 'Bewitched' apparitions... 8
- Defending the Faith: Reasons for... 5
- 6 things to help you cope with the end... 2
- Lexi Walker performs arrangement of... 2
- These touching Christmas ads will melt... 1
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes 1
- Surprising success: 'A Charlie Brown... 1
- Answering the question 'Dad, what's... 1