OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University, ranked No. 27 by Collegiate Baseball for the second week in a row, has entered the National College Baseball Writers Association poll for the first time at No. 30 as the Wolverines return home to host Utah on Tuesday at 6 p.m.
The game, which will be heard live on 960 AM the Zone, begins a stretch of five contests this week to wrap up the regular season.
UVU has won 32 straight games, tied for fourth in the Division I record book for consecutive games won, along with the 1972 Arizona State and 1988 Fresno State teams. The 32-game streak is among those featured on CollegeBaseball360.com’s “By the Numbers” weekly notebook.
Utah Valley (39-11, 24-0 GWC) swept NYIT over the weekend in New York to stay perfect in league play. Preston Olson’s start highlighted the series and earned the senior right-hander one of Collegiate Baseball’s “Louisville Slugger” National Players of the Week. Olson struck out a school-record 16 hitters in a two-hit shutout in the 10-0 win and became the second Wolverine player this season to receive the honor.
The Wolverines also host Northern Colorado in a four-game, Great West Conference series beginning Thursday at 6 p.m. That series is the final tune up for next week’s GWC Tournament hosted by Utah Valley, which begins on May 22. The Wolverines will open the tournament as the top seed and will face NYIT on May 22 at 7 p.m.
In addition to being ranked by Collegiate Baseball, UVU sits at No. 48 on CollegeBaseball360.com’s Composite Rankings list and on Monday the Wolverines were also 48th on the Perfect Game Top 50. The Wolverines are among others receiving votes in the ESPN/USA Today coaches’ poll, tied for 36th.
Utah dropped two of three from No. 23 Oregon State over the weekend in Salt Lake City in Pac 12 play. All three games were decided by just one run and two games went into extra innings. The Utes (13-35, 7-20 Pac 12) are led by James Brooks’ nine home runs and Parker Morin’s .328 average.
Northern Colorado took three of four from Texas-Pan American in Edinburg. The Bears (25-26, 15-9 GWC) play Tuesday against Air Force. Adam Hilker leads an offense that hits .315 as a club with a .391 average.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20