WEST VALLEY CITY — West Valley City Mayor Mike Winder is leading fellow Republican Mark Crockett in the race for Salt Lake County GOP mayoral nominee, according to an online poll conducted by online political newsletter UtahPolicy.com.
But a large number of likely primary voters in the poll said they were undecided.
The unscientific poll, conducted by email to 1,227 likely Republican voters in Salt Lake County shows 42.5 percent favor Winder, 35.9 percent pick Crockett and 21.6 percent are undecided as of last week
“We’re pleased to be ahead, but we’re working like we’re 20 points behind,” Winder said of the results.
Utah Policy’s Bryan Schott interprets the poll as a close race. “Neither candidate is above 50 percent, and Crockett is close if you factor in a 6 percent margin of error,” Schott said.
Winder may be benefiting from high name recognition, since his family owns Winder Dairy and he has been highly visible as mayor of West Valley City.
The primary election is June 26. The winner will take on Democratic candidate Ben McAdams.
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- 'One drink, one time': New research shows...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- Police say unlicensed massage therapist...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 49
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 44
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 33
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 17
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 15