Researching Family History: Great-great grandpa's shiny boots he wore across the plains and mountains to Utah
While serving in Denmark, Christensen went to his mother-in-law's home. At first, she graciously accepted him, but he did not tell her he was her son-in-law. She even took a liking to him, mainly due to his knowledge of the Danish language. The conversation eventually moved to home and family. He brought out the picture. She immediately recognized her daughter and to his surprise and dismay, she proclaimed to him, “I have no daughter!” Christensen tried to affect forgiveness between them, but she refused. Politely he left the premises sorrowing, his hope for healing had vanished.
Returning home from his mission in April 1887 on the steamer called the Panther, Christensen found himself back at his farm in Colorado doing the typical chores he was used to. In two years' time, his health began to fail. Hoping to improve his lot, the couple moved to Murray, and on July 8, 1908, he succumbed at age 65.
We do not know what happened to his shiny boots, but they have left a great posterity of descendants.
Genealogy graduate Russell Bangerter is president of Ancestral Connections, Inc., at www.ancestralconnect.com. He is a professional genealogist, author and speaker; and he is advisor to Treasured Souls to Keep, at www.treasuredsoulstokeep.com.
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- LDS convert and influential friend reunite...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 104
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 76
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 76
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 71
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 61
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 46
- How much did President Obama donate to... 44