Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Teaching responsibility at a young age is why members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints become good business leaders, according to an article in the Christian Science Monitor.
"You do see a disproportionate percentage of Mormons who have decent organizational and managerial skills," Jeff Benedict, author of the book "The Mormon Way of Doing Business: Leadership and Success Through Faith and Family," told the Christian Science Monitor. "That's because, at a very young age, Mormon kids are given responsibilities and taught to organize."
At the age of 12, LDS boys receive responsibilities in the church, including conducting meetings, collecting church donations and giving talks to adult crowds. Responsibilities given at a young age lead to successful businessmen such as Mitt Romney.
Full-time missions also account for successful business leaders, according to the article.
A recent Pew study on American Mormons shows that 80 percent who served missions say the two-year service was very valuable in preparing them for a career.
Scott Johnson, chairman and founder of AtTask Inc. in Lehi, told the Christian Science Monitor that it was his two-year mission in Brazil, where he was spit on and chased by dogs, that taught him humility and a calm resolve.
"People don't just volunteer for positions in the church. They're called to particular positions," Johnson told the Monitor. "The answer (to a challenge is): 'Go pray about it, get revelation, and you'll be fine....' You sort of learn on the job."
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage...
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- 4 charged in year-long copper thefts at Utah...
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- Children's museum celebrates 35 years of play
- Start thinking about retirement while in your...
- Green energy option in Logan points to a need...
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 29
- Obama declares health care law is... 21
- Intermountain Healthcare offering... 15
- Start thinking about retirement while... 7
- Obama to feds: Boost renewable power 20... 6
- Amazon's latest idea may make online... 6
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday... 5
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low 5