BYU baseball: Pepperdine sweeps Cougars with 8-7 win Saturday
MALIBU, Calif. — For the third straight day Pepperdine came from behind to defeat BYU's baseball team, completing a sweep with an 8-7 victory on Saturday.
Pepperdine (28-19, 12-6 West Coast Conference) used a four-run sixth inning to chase Cougar starter Adam Miller from the game and take an 8-6 lead. The depleted Cougar pitching staff could not stifle Pepperdine in that sixth inning.
“Our pitchers were too slow to the plate and we gave them extra bases which gave us no margin for error,” BYU coach Vance Law said. “We played three tough ball games.”
On Saturday, the Cougars (19-24, 7-11) outhit the Waves 12-11, taking leads of 1-0, 4-2 and 5-2 behind Miller, who kept the Waves hitless through the first 2 2/3 innings.
With a revamped hitting order and defensive lineup, BYU centerfielder Jaycob Brugman led off the first inning with a double and scored again in the second frame prior to Alex Wolfe’s two-out, two-run double. Christian Mua’s seventh-inning double set up BYU’s final run.
BYU stranded runners in scoring position in the first, third, fourth, sixth, seventh and eighth innings.
“We didn’t execute or come through with these opportunities,” said Law. “Our hitters battled and did a good job competing. I was pleased with our offensive intensity.”
Road trips are now completed for BYU as Law tries for his 400th victory by winning the final six games at home. The Cougars host Santa Clara in a three-game series starting Thursday night.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak... 20