BYU baseball: Pepperdine sweeps Cougars with 8-7 win Saturday
MALIBU, Calif. — For the third straight day Pepperdine came from behind to defeat BYU's baseball team, completing a sweep with an 8-7 victory on Saturday.
Pepperdine (28-19, 12-6 West Coast Conference) used a four-run sixth inning to chase Cougar starter Adam Miller from the game and take an 8-6 lead. The depleted Cougar pitching staff could not stifle Pepperdine in that sixth inning.
“Our pitchers were too slow to the plate and we gave them extra bases which gave us no margin for error,” BYU coach Vance Law said. “We played three tough ball games.”
On Saturday, the Cougars (19-24, 7-11) outhit the Waves 12-11, taking leads of 1-0, 4-2 and 5-2 behind Miller, who kept the Waves hitless through the first 2 2/3 innings.
With a revamped hitting order and defensive lineup, BYU centerfielder Jaycob Brugman led off the first inning with a double and scored again in the second frame prior to Alex Wolfe’s two-out, two-run double. Christian Mua’s seventh-inning double set up BYU’s final run.
BYU stranded runners in scoring position in the first, third, fourth, sixth, seventh and eighth innings.
“We didn’t execute or come through with these opportunities,” said Law. “Our hitters battled and did a good job competing. I was pleased with our offensive intensity.”
Road trips are now completed for BYU as Law tries for his 400th victory by winning the final six games at home. The Cougars host Santa Clara in a three-game series starting Thursday night.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- BYU, Utah fans react to Max Hall's arrest...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 76
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 37
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 34
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31