SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake man was charged Friday with assaulting a woman and holding her daughter hostage.
Randall Hudson, 59, was staying with a woman and her daughter at 1228 S. Windsor St. (840 East). Hudson entered the woman's room early Thursday and began striking her head with a vodka bottle, according to charges filed in 3rd District Court. The woman was able to escape to a neighbor's house to call 911, and was later hospitalized.
Hudson then entered a bathroom where the woman's daughter was taking a shower, the charges state. He allegedly threatened her with a knife and refused to allow her to leave. According to prosecutors, Hudson said he planned to hold a knife to the daughter's neck and walk out of the house when police arrived so they would shoot him.
Salt Lake police and a SWAT team responded and, according to the charges, Hudson threatened to kill the daughter when police attempted to enter the bathroom. Police said they subdued Hudson with a stun gun and he was taken into custody.
Hudson was charged with aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony, and two counts of aggravated assault, a third-degree felony.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12