SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake man was charged Friday with assaulting a woman and holding her daughter hostage.
Randall Hudson, 59, was staying with a woman and her daughter at 1228 S. Windsor St. (840 East). Hudson entered the woman's room early Thursday and began striking her head with a vodka bottle, according to charges filed in 3rd District Court. The woman was able to escape to a neighbor's house to call 911, and was later hospitalized.
Hudson then entered a bathroom where the woman's daughter was taking a shower, the charges state. He allegedly threatened her with a knife and refused to allow her to leave. According to prosecutors, Hudson said he planned to hold a knife to the daughter's neck and walk out of the house when police arrived so they would shoot him.
Salt Lake police and a SWAT team responded and, according to the charges, Hudson threatened to kill the daughter when police attempted to enter the bathroom. Police said they subdued Hudson with a stun gun and he was taken into custody.
Hudson was charged with aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony, and two counts of aggravated assault, a third-degree felony.
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- Woman critically injured in Bountiful...
- Photos: A Pioneer Day celebration of heritage...
- Man falls 70 feet to his death in Provo
- Man shot dead in Midvale; alleged shooter in...
- 4 arrested in connection with fatal Cedar...
- Midvale killing may be case of self-defense,...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 75
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17