Odds and Ends: LDS volunteers work with other faiths to serve
Service is an integral part of what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does. Recent news has highlighted several service projects in which LDS members have teamed with members of other faiths to help less-fortunate people.
In Leamington, Ontario, a group of about 600 volunteers — with representatives from more than 30 churches — worked together to can 38,000 pounds of chicken. The canning was part of the Mennonite Central Committee's annual meat-canning effort. While Tina Quiring, the spokesperson for the MCC, said it is not yet known exactly where the chicken will be headed, last year's meat was sent to orphanages and hospitals in Haiti and North Korea, Pat Bailey reported for the Leamington Post.
A similar project was completed in Murrieta, Calif., where more than 630 volunteers from St. Martha's Catholic Church, Murrieta United Methodist Church and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints unloaded donations during a citywide food drive.
“We anticipated a big turnout and a big collection, but this service project exceeded all of our expectations,” said Brian Connors, director of public affairs for the Murrieta LDS stake, to The Press-Enterprise. “When you work hand-in-hand for (the) common good, the spirit emanates throughout all the people involved. It’s energizing.”
Many other projects were completed on April 28, the annual day of service organized by Mormon Helping Hands. About 350 Latter-day Saints worked with 30 people from other organizations to plant 6,000 plants in the Oso Viejo Park located in Mission Viejo, Calif. Church members elsewhere in California cleared weeds and trash at seven mobile home parks in Calimesa.
- Sister Frances J. Monson's legacy of love...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of...
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Live streaming: Frances J. Monson funeral
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- USA Today takes note of LDS sister missionaries
- 'Hollywood goes to Mormon country': BYU...
- Boy Scouts of America to make membership...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 44
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her... 40
- Secretary of State John Kerry says... 26
- Muslim leaders in U.S. facing... 25
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of... 25
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides... 23
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 17