Josh Anderson, Associated Press
When GoBankingRates.com asked financial guru Dave Ramsey what contributes to today’s lack of financial literacy, the money mentor simply said, “Debt.”
“It’s become normal,” Ramsey told GoBankingRates.com “It is sold so aggressively that many have come believe it’s a financial tool. It’s not. Debt is dumb. It magnifies your risk in any situation. It prevents you from building wealth.”
To Ramsey, financial literacy means more than simply learning how to deal with money.
“I say finance is 80 percent behavior and only 20 percent head knowledge,” Ramsey told GoBankingRates.com. “You’ve got to make the shift in attitude. You’ve got to get sick and tired of being broke in order to make the necessary behavior changes to win with money.”
He also told the finance site that the recession was “a wake up call for most people” and financial literacy is the “same common sense our grandparents practiced.”
- In faith communities, fraudsters prey on trust
- Efforts to stop excavation at Point of the...
- Got weeds? Hire a goat
- Want a better return on your college...
- Nu Skin Center to become new landmark in...
- Animal rights group threatens Utah fur farms...
- 'Pregnant' teen boys featured in Chicago's ad...
- Private school in Texas gives students...
- Animal rights group threatens Utah fur... 21
- Want a better return on your college... 17
- In faith communities, fraudsters prey... 10
- Groups hold public rally to 'Stop the... 7
- Efforts to stop excavation at Point of... 3
- Got weeds? Hire a goat 2
- Highly efficient 'passive homes' gain... 1
- Secret to Prism program: It's just one... 1