Financial guru Dave Ramsey says debt is the reason for low financial literacy
Josh Anderson, Associated Press
When GoBankingRates.com asked financial guru Dave Ramsey what contributes to today’s lack of financial literacy, the money mentor simply said, “Debt.”
“It’s become normal,” Ramsey told GoBankingRates.com “It is sold so aggressively that many have come believe it’s a financial tool. It’s not. Debt is dumb. It magnifies your risk in any situation. It prevents you from building wealth.”
To Ramsey, financial literacy means more than simply learning how to deal with money.
“I say finance is 80 percent behavior and only 20 percent head knowledge,” Ramsey told GoBankingRates.com. “You’ve got to make the shift in attitude. You’ve got to get sick and tired of being broke in order to make the necessary behavior changes to win with money.”
He also told the finance site that the recession was “a wake up call for most people” and financial literacy is the “same common sense our grandparents practiced.”
- US new-home sales tumbled in May after a...
- Markets reel as world absorbs shock of UK...
- Asian stocks mixed as markets await Brexit...
- Stocks, pound fall again due to UK vote...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Emery County defrauded out of nearly $40,000...
- What Costco shoppers should know about the...
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan Johnson...
- Trial ordered for politician accused of... 7
- What Costco shoppers should know about... 5
- Costco begins new credit card agreement 4
- Emery County defrauded out of nearly... 4
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan... 4
- Delta pilots picket for better pay in... 3
- Director calls DEA raid of his... 2
- US new-home sales tumbled in May after... 0