UVU track and field: Wolverine women lead after Day 1, men are fourth
HUMBLE, Texas — The Utah Valley University track teams began their quest for their fourth straight Great West Conference titles Thursday with three first-place finishes on Day 1 of the championships.
McKell Camp-Nielson set a new school record and moved up to 14th in the nation collegiately and 24th in the U.S. overall with a javelin throw of 166 feet, 11 inches.
"She was hovering around that all day long and when her sixth throw was at its peak we knew it was going to be her best throw," UVU track and field coach Scott Houle said.
After three events, the UVU women's team leads with 47 points, followed by North Dakota (34), Texas-Pan America (19), Seattle U. (6), NJIT (5) Bakersfield (3) and Houston Baptist (3).
On the men's side, UVU is fourth with 15 points. North Dakota leads with 22, followed by UTPA (18) and Seattle U. (17).
Stephanie Christensen (37 minutes, 28.17 seconds) won the women's 10,000 meters and Angela Baker (28:21.96) was third, while in the men's 10,000 meters, Mike Felix placed second (31:27.73) and Trevor Baker placed eighth (33:13.96).
In the men's javelin, Mark Jones finished third at 183-04.
Action in the men's and women's decathlon and heptathlon resumes at 11 a.m. MT Friday, while field events begin at noon with the men's shot put. The running events get underway at 3:05 p.m. with the women's 1,500 meters.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29