UVU track and field: Wolverine women lead after Day 1, men are fourth
HUMBLE, Texas — The Utah Valley University track teams began their quest for their fourth straight Great West Conference titles Thursday with three first-place finishes on Day 1 of the championships.
McKell Camp-Nielson set a new school record and moved up to 14th in the nation collegiately and 24th in the U.S. overall with a javelin throw of 166 feet, 11 inches.
"She was hovering around that all day long and when her sixth throw was at its peak we knew it was going to be her best throw," UVU track and field coach Scott Houle said.
After three events, the UVU women's team leads with 47 points, followed by North Dakota (34), Texas-Pan America (19), Seattle U. (6), NJIT (5) Bakersfield (3) and Houston Baptist (3).
On the men's side, UVU is fourth with 15 points. North Dakota leads with 22, followed by UTPA (18) and Seattle U. (17).
Stephanie Christensen (37 minutes, 28.17 seconds) won the women's 10,000 meters and Angela Baker (28:21.96) was third, while in the men's 10,000 meters, Mike Felix placed second (31:27.73) and Trevor Baker placed eighth (33:13.96).
In the men's javelin, Mark Jones finished third at 183-04.
Action in the men's and women's decathlon and heptathlon resumes at 11 a.m. MT Friday, while field events begin at noon with the men's shot put. The running events get underway at 3:05 p.m. with the women's 1,500 meters.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 21
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 12