UVU track and field: Wolverine women lead after Day 1, men are fourth
HUMBLE, Texas — The Utah Valley University track teams began their quest for their fourth straight Great West Conference titles Thursday with three first-place finishes on Day 1 of the championships.
McKell Camp-Nielson set a new school record and moved up to 14th in the nation collegiately and 24th in the U.S. overall with a javelin throw of 166 feet, 11 inches.
"She was hovering around that all day long and when her sixth throw was at its peak we knew it was going to be her best throw," UVU track and field coach Scott Houle said.
After three events, the UVU women's team leads with 47 points, followed by North Dakota (34), Texas-Pan America (19), Seattle U. (6), NJIT (5) Bakersfield (3) and Houston Baptist (3).
On the men's side, UVU is fourth with 15 points. North Dakota leads with 22, followed by UTPA (18) and Seattle U. (17).
Stephanie Christensen (37 minutes, 28.17 seconds) won the women's 10,000 meters and Angela Baker (28:21.96) was third, while in the men's 10,000 meters, Mike Felix placed second (31:27.73) and Trevor Baker placed eighth (33:13.96).
In the men's javelin, Mark Jones finished third at 183-04.
Action in the men's and women's decathlon and heptathlon resumes at 11 a.m. MT Friday, while field events begin at noon with the men's shot put. The running events get underway at 3:05 p.m. with the women's 1,500 meters.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27