MALIBU, Calif. — With two out, bases loaded and a full count in the 11th inning, Pepperdine’s Joe Sever was hit by a pitch Thursday to defeat BYU baseball, 4-3.
Pepperdine (26-19, 10-6 West Coast Conference) handed BYU freshman reliever Mason Marshall his first loss of the season. Marshall (1-1), who has nine saves, took the mound to start the ninth inning with the game tied 3-3.
The Cougars (19-22, 7-9) battled from behind as starter Desmond Poulson threw 132 pitches to keep BYU alive after surrendering its 1-0 lead in the two-run fourth inning.
The Waves extended that lead to 3-1 in the fifth before BYU battled back, scoring one run in the seventh and tying the game at 3-all in the eighth.
“We had a couple of opportunities early in the second inning that we didn’t take advantage of,” BYU coach Vance Law said. “Our hits were spread out. We just didn’t get one big hit, which would have been nice to give us a cushion in the eleventh.
“This was a really a good college baseball game. He (Marshall) has been lights out. I’m proud of the way Desmond (Poulson) threw, he continues to get better each outing.”
Cougar first baseman Brock Whitney went 3-for-4, scoring two runs and hitting one of BYU’s four doubles in the game.
BYU had won all three extra-inning games earlier this season, while Pepperdine is now 4-2 in extra-inning contests this year.
The two teams will continue the series with game two on Friday afternoon at Pepperdine.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for more than 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19