SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon will present the 2012 Commission on Youth awards on Tuesday.
The Youth Individual award will be presented to Madi Palmer, an advocate for youth homelessness who serves as communications officer with the Salt Lake County Youth Government. She has volunteered for The Road Home, Ronald McDonald House and the Utah Food Bank, and worked with special needs children at Camp Kostopolus.
The Youth Group award was earned by Kearns Youth Council, which has volunteered hundreds of hours to beautify and improve the Kearns community. Under the direction of Kathy Larrabee, last summer the Kearns Youth Council volunteered at the Summer Lunch program at the Kearns Recreation Center, giving out hundreds of free lunches each week to the children of the community.
Melissa “Missy” Brunisholz receives the Adult Individual award for her years with the Youth Employability Services, helping youths find jobs and helping them transition to the adult world. Missy has partnered with the Utah Youth Mentor Project and continues to assist young adults who are homeless or aging out of foster care.
The Adult Group winner, PJ’s Forgotten Children, is a nonprofit group run entirely by volunteers. Their mission is to help families struck by mental illness. They recognized a need when NAMI noticed high suicide rates among parents with mental illness who couldn’t provide holiday gifts for their children and gave holiday gifts to 1,200 families last year.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14