SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon will present the 2012 Commission on Youth awards on Tuesday.
The Youth Individual award will be presented to Madi Palmer, an advocate for youth homelessness who serves as communications officer with the Salt Lake County Youth Government. She has volunteered for The Road Home, Ronald McDonald House and the Utah Food Bank, and worked with special needs children at Camp Kostopolus.
The Youth Group award was earned by Kearns Youth Council, which has volunteered hundreds of hours to beautify and improve the Kearns community. Under the direction of Kathy Larrabee, last summer the Kearns Youth Council volunteered at the Summer Lunch program at the Kearns Recreation Center, giving out hundreds of free lunches each week to the children of the community.
Melissa “Missy” Brunisholz receives the Adult Individual award for her years with the Youth Employability Services, helping youths find jobs and helping them transition to the adult world. Missy has partnered with the Utah Youth Mentor Project and continues to assist young adults who are homeless or aging out of foster care.
The Adult Group winner, PJ’s Forgotten Children, is a nonprofit group run entirely by volunteers. Their mission is to help families struck by mental illness. They recognized a need when NAMI noticed high suicide rates among parents with mental illness who couldn’t provide holiday gifts for their children and gave holiday gifts to 1,200 families last year.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 47
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 44
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 15
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 15
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 13
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8