Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Crews extinguished a small fire on the roof of Nordstrom at City Creek Center in downtown Salt Lake City Wednesday.
Maintenance workers smelled smoke and called 911 around 6:55 a.m. Firefighters arrived and found fire on the roof of the building at 55 S. West Temple.
The fire started when a backup generator's exhaust pipe ignited roof decking material, according to the Salt Lake City Fire Department. They had to pull a hose to the roof to put out the blaze.
“Because they had to use a hose line on the roof, gravity is going to take over with the water, and water is in the building just a little bit, it sounds like, and we have crews inside protecting the items with salvage tarps,” Salt Lake Fire Division Chief Karl Steadman said.
The generator was running due to a scheduled power outage so that Rocky Mountain Power could connect a new power supply to the area.
There were about 25 employees in the store at the time of the blaze who had to be evacuated and then sent home for the day. No one was injured.
The fire did not spread to the interior of the structure. No merchandise was damaged.
The fire also damaged a main circuit breaker to Nordstrom, cutting all power to the store. Rocky Mountain Power was working to restore it.
The rest of the stores at City Creek were not affected by the fire or power outage.
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19