Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Crews extinguished a small fire on the roof of Nordstrom at City Creek Center in downtown Salt Lake City Wednesday.
Maintenance workers smelled smoke and called 911 around 6:55 a.m. Firefighters arrived and found fire on the roof of the building at 55 S. West Temple.
The fire started when a backup generator's exhaust pipe ignited roof decking material, according to the Salt Lake City Fire Department. They had to pull a hose to the roof to put out the blaze.
“Because they had to use a hose line on the roof, gravity is going to take over with the water, and water is in the building just a little bit, it sounds like, and we have crews inside protecting the items with salvage tarps,” Salt Lake Fire Division Chief Karl Steadman said.
The generator was running due to a scheduled power outage so that Rocky Mountain Power could connect a new power supply to the area.
There were about 25 employees in the store at the time of the blaze who had to be evacuated and then sent home for the day. No one was injured.
The fire did not spread to the interior of the structure. No merchandise was damaged.
The fire also damaged a main circuit breaker to Nordstrom, cutting all power to the store. Rocky Mountain Power was working to restore it.
The rest of the stores at City Creek were not affected by the fire or power outage.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 35
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 32
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 20