Blue roundup: Offensive coordinator Brandon Doman takes recruiting visit to South Pacific
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News archives
BYU offensive coordinator Brandon Doman is in the South Pacific, but he's not taking a vacation. He's working.
Doman is on a recruiting visit in Samoa, scouring the area for talent.
“While I am here, my goal is to see all seven of the high schools and meet with all of the high school football coaches, and evaluate academics, evaluate athleticism and identify who are the Division 1-caliber football players. I also have to ensure academically they meet the curriculum and criteria to enter into the University at BYU,” Doman told the Samoa News.
BYU's Bronco Mendenhall is the top coach among independent programs, according to the Sporting News.
"Unlike most coaches, Mendenhall isn’t obsessed with the job," writes Matt Hayes. "He’s more consumed about using the coaching platform as his ministry and teaching. If winning games is part of that, all the better. Maybe that’s why he has five double-digit win seasons in seven years, and is averaging nearly 10 wins a season. Even in the glorious history of LaVell Edwards, BYU never had a run of four straight seasons with at least 10 wins like it had under Mendenhall (2006-09)."
The Cougars are showing interest in the Rhode Island player of the year, Josh Morris. Meanwhile, Hawaii has offered a scholarship to Dallin Leavitt, a linebacker from Oregon that has verbally committed to BYU.
BYU linebacker Brandon Ogletree has been named to the 2012 Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25