Men may feel pressure after they realize they are responsible for making all three meals for Mother’s Day. But dads need not fear. Below are some fool-proof slow-cooker recipes from Karen Petersen's “365 Days of Slow-Cooking” (Covenant Communications, $25.99) that will take the stress off of creating great meals for the women they love.
Breakfast: Waffle and Sausage Breakfast
1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage, browned and drained
4 waffles, toasted and cubed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup evaporated milk
4 ounce cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1. In a slow-cooker, layer sausage, waffle cubes, and cheese.
2. In a skillet, heat milk and cream cheese over low heat until cheese melts
and mixture is smooth.
3. Remove skillet from heat; beat in the eggs, one at a time, until smooth.
Stir in the dry mustard.
4. Pour contents of skillet into the slow-cooker.
5. Cover and cook on low for about 4–5 hours or until eggs are set.
6. Serve with warmed maple syrup.
Makes 4–5 servings.
Lunch: Pulled Pork Tacos
2 cups salsa, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
21/2-pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder roast, trimmed of fat
Corn or flour tortillas
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
3/4 cup sour cream
1 lime, cut into wedges
1. In a slow-cooker, combine the salsa, chili powder, oregano, cocoa, and salt. Add the pork and turn to coat.
2. Cover and cook on low for 6–8 hours. Meat should be very tender and should pull apart easily.
3. Using two forks, shred the pork and stir into the cooking liquid.
4. Serve with tortillas, cilantro, sour cream, lime, and extra salsa.
Makes 6 servings.
Dinner: Chicken Parmigiana
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup dry bread crumbs
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- Book review: Young widow's memoir presents a...
- Family motto helps LDS couple put parenting...
- Australian mom removes heavy makeup from...
- 12 Disney movies that are coming out in 2015
- Top honeymoon destinations for 2015
- Want to conquer your fears? Embrace rejection
- Are you part of the global 'baby shortage'?
- Are you part of the global 'baby... 12
- Australian mom removes heavy makeup... 12
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos... 5
- Family motto helps LDS couple put... 5
- Sherry Young: Nostalgia, airplanes and... 4
- Motherhood Matters: To grouchy moms... 4
- Does taking advantage of family leave... 4
- Cut the cost of child care: Saving tips... 2