Shane Truskolaski/UVU Athletics
OREM — For the first time in the program's NCAA history, the Utah Valley baseball team finds itself in the national rankings. On the heels of a four-game sweep of conference rival Houston Baptist, which extended its nation-leading win streak to 28 games, the Wolverines have been ranked No. 27 in the latest Collegiate Baseball newspaper Division I poll.
"It's exciting for our players. They've earned the right to receive this national recognition," said UVU head coach Eric Madsen.
UVU has also received votes in the National College Baseball Writers Association and the USA Today/ESPN coaches' polls.
For the second time in the past three weeks, Collegiate Baseball also named first baseman Goose Kallunki Louisville Slugger's National Player of the Week. Kallunki went 10-for-19 (.526) in the week's five games and hit three home runs, three doubles, one triple and drove in 12 runs. He had a .640 on-base percentage and slugging percentage of 1.263. The senior currently leads the nation in RBIs with 72 and ranks in the top 10 among national leaders in batting average (.419), home runs (15), slugging percentage (.747), hits (78) and total bases (139).
Kallunki was first given the award on April 23 following UVU's sweep of Texas-Pan American.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32