Shane Truskolaski/UVU Athletics
OREM — For the first time in the program's NCAA history, the Utah Valley baseball team finds itself in the national rankings. On the heels of a four-game sweep of conference rival Houston Baptist, which extended its nation-leading win streak to 28 games, the Wolverines have been ranked No. 27 in the latest Collegiate Baseball newspaper Division I poll.
"It's exciting for our players. They've earned the right to receive this national recognition," said UVU head coach Eric Madsen.
UVU has also received votes in the National College Baseball Writers Association and the USA Today/ESPN coaches' polls.
For the second time in the past three weeks, Collegiate Baseball also named first baseman Goose Kallunki Louisville Slugger's National Player of the Week. Kallunki went 10-for-19 (.526) in the week's five games and hit three home runs, three doubles, one triple and drove in 12 runs. He had a .640 on-base percentage and slugging percentage of 1.263. The senior currently leads the nation in RBIs with 72 and ranks in the top 10 among national leaders in batting average (.419), home runs (15), slugging percentage (.747), hits (78) and total bases (139).
Kallunki was first given the award on April 23 following UVU's sweep of Texas-Pan American.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D1 history,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22