UVU men's golf: Mason Casper earns first-ever UVU at-large bid to NCAA Golf Championships
UVU Sports Information
OREM — Utah Valley University's Mason Casper became the first-ever Wolverine golfer to qualify for the NCAA Golf Championships when he received at-large bid from the NCAA Selection Committee Monday night.
"This is a huge day for UVU golf," Wolverine men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "I'm proud of him and he deserves it. His hard work really paid off this season. This is his chance to shine against the best players in the country."
Casper, who finished third at the America Sky Conference Golf Championships and was named the conference player of the year, will play in the field of 13 teams and 10 individual qualifiers at Stanford regional May 17-19 at the Stanford Golf Course.
At the ASC championships contested at the par-72, 7,252-yard Lake of Isles Golf Course in North Stonington, Conn. last week, Capser shot rounds of 73-73-75 for a three-day total of 221.
For the year, Casper recorded seven Top-10 finishes, including a win at the Battle of the Teton, where he shot a 14-under par.
Casper is currently ranked 49th in the nation in scoring average at 71.83.
Teams from Cal, Stanford, San Diego State, UCF, LSU, UAB, Wichita State, Tennessee, Oregon State, Southeastern Louisiana, San Francisco, San Jose State, and UC Davis will play in the regional.
Along with Casper, Zac Blair (BYU), Justin Shin (New Mexico State), Josh Anderson (Pepperdine), Alex Edfort (Pacific), Justin Keiley (BYU), Allan Jun (Irvine), Johnny MacArthur (Pepperdine), Jarred Bossio (Idaho) and Zachery Fullerton (New Mexico State) will compete as individuals.
The low five teams in each of the six regionals and the low individual from each regional on a non-qualifying team will make it to the NCAA Finals, which will be held May 29-June 3, at The Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26