UVU men's golf: Mason Casper earns first-ever UVU at-large bid to NCAA Golf Championships
UVU Sports Information
OREM — Utah Valley University's Mason Casper became the first-ever Wolverine golfer to qualify for the NCAA Golf Championships when he received at-large bid from the NCAA Selection Committee Monday night.
"This is a huge day for UVU golf," Wolverine men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "I'm proud of him and he deserves it. His hard work really paid off this season. This is his chance to shine against the best players in the country."
Casper, who finished third at the America Sky Conference Golf Championships and was named the conference player of the year, will play in the field of 13 teams and 10 individual qualifiers at Stanford regional May 17-19 at the Stanford Golf Course.
At the ASC championships contested at the par-72, 7,252-yard Lake of Isles Golf Course in North Stonington, Conn. last week, Capser shot rounds of 73-73-75 for a three-day total of 221.
For the year, Casper recorded seven Top-10 finishes, including a win at the Battle of the Teton, where he shot a 14-under par.
Casper is currently ranked 49th in the nation in scoring average at 71.83.
Teams from Cal, Stanford, San Diego State, UCF, LSU, UAB, Wichita State, Tennessee, Oregon State, Southeastern Louisiana, San Francisco, San Jose State, and UC Davis will play in the regional.
Along with Casper, Zac Blair (BYU), Justin Shin (New Mexico State), Josh Anderson (Pepperdine), Alex Edfort (Pacific), Justin Keiley (BYU), Allan Jun (Irvine), Johnny MacArthur (Pepperdine), Jarred Bossio (Idaho) and Zachery Fullerton (New Mexico State) will compete as individuals.
The low five teams in each of the six regionals and the low individual from each regional on a non-qualifying team will make it to the NCAA Finals, which will be held May 29-June 3, at The Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal for...
- Free agent roundup: 14 locals from BYU, Utah,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September schedule:...
- Salt Lake residents may find it difficult to...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Utes have three players taken on the second...
- Ranking the 33 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- BYU seeking its 4th straight rugby national...
- Brad Rock: Utah-BYU rivalry will... 158
- Dick Harmon: Utes clearly lead local... 80
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 75
- Yeomans: What does Jimmer Fredette need... 54
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 52
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 38
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 38
- BYU's 2015 bowl destination could be... 31