UVU men's golf: Mason Casper earns first-ever UVU at-large bid to NCAA Golf Championships
UVU Sports Information
OREM — Utah Valley University's Mason Casper became the first-ever Wolverine golfer to qualify for the NCAA Golf Championships when he received at-large bid from the NCAA Selection Committee Monday night.
"This is a huge day for UVU golf," Wolverine men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "I'm proud of him and he deserves it. His hard work really paid off this season. This is his chance to shine against the best players in the country."
Casper, who finished third at the America Sky Conference Golf Championships and was named the conference player of the year, will play in the field of 13 teams and 10 individual qualifiers at Stanford regional May 17-19 at the Stanford Golf Course.
At the ASC championships contested at the par-72, 7,252-yard Lake of Isles Golf Course in North Stonington, Conn. last week, Capser shot rounds of 73-73-75 for a three-day total of 221.
For the year, Casper recorded seven Top-10 finishes, including a win at the Battle of the Teton, where he shot a 14-under par.
Casper is currently ranked 49th in the nation in scoring average at 71.83.
Teams from Cal, Stanford, San Diego State, UCF, LSU, UAB, Wichita State, Tennessee, Oregon State, Southeastern Louisiana, San Francisco, San Jose State, and UC Davis will play in the regional.
Along with Casper, Zac Blair (BYU), Justin Shin (New Mexico State), Josh Anderson (Pepperdine), Alex Edfort (Pacific), Justin Keiley (BYU), Allan Jun (Irvine), Johnny MacArthur (Pepperdine), Jarred Bossio (Idaho) and Zachery Fullerton (New Mexico State) will compete as individuals.
The low five teams in each of the six regionals and the low individual from each regional on a non-qualifying team will make it to the NCAA Finals, which will be held May 29-June 3, at The Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29