, Utah Highway Patrol
HEBER CITY — Heber City residents are devastated about the loss of a couple known throughout the community who were killed Sunday in a head-on collision in Provo Canyon.
Kathleen Draper, 63, a librarian at Wasatch High School, and her husband, Val Draper, 63, a former city council member and county commissioner, were killed Sunday when their vehicle collided with an oncoming vehicle just after 2 p.m. on U.S. 189 near Wallsburg, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
"It was just a tragic thing," said Mike Davis, Wasatch County manager. "When we heard about it yesterday, we were just shocked."
The Drapers were traveling with their two grandchildren, ages 12 and 2, who were hospitalized in critical condition. The occupants of the other vehicle, Forest Finlayson, 24, his wife Shantell Finlayson, 25, and their 3-year-old son were also hospitalized. Shantell was about 6 months pregnant, and her unborn child did not survive the collision.
"They were people who bound this community together," Tom Bonner, director of Wasatch Country Parks and Recreation. "It's an understatement to say they'll be missed."
Residents said the incident has been hard in such a small community.
"This is so difficult," said Shawn Kelly, Wasatch High School principal. "Particularly in a small community. We all know each other."
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 11
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8