, Utah Highway Patrol
HEBER CITY — Heber City residents are devastated about the loss of a couple known throughout the community who were killed Sunday in a head-on collision in Provo Canyon.
Kathleen Draper, 63, a librarian at Wasatch High School, and her husband, Val Draper, 63, a former city council member and county commissioner, were killed Sunday when their vehicle collided with an oncoming vehicle just after 2 p.m. on U.S. 189 near Wallsburg, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
"It was just a tragic thing," said Mike Davis, Wasatch County manager. "When we heard about it yesterday, we were just shocked."
The Drapers were traveling with their two grandchildren, ages 12 and 2, who were hospitalized in critical condition. The occupants of the other vehicle, Forest Finlayson, 24, his wife Shantell Finlayson, 25, and their 3-year-old son were also hospitalized. Shantell was about 6 months pregnant, and her unborn child did not survive the collision.
"They were people who bound this community together," Tom Bonner, director of Wasatch Country Parks and Recreation. "It's an understatement to say they'll be missed."
Residents said the incident has been hard in such a small community.
"This is so difficult," said Shawn Kelly, Wasatch High School principal. "Particularly in a small community. We all know each other."
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Teen leads Humane Society service project to...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11