For several decades, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been encouraged to keep a year's supply of food and other supplies in the event of an emergency.
This idea has intrigued the media in recent months and several outlets have published articles on the topic.
In this Broward Palm Beach New Times two-part series by Stefan Kamph, the writer interviewed Elder Mark Brown, who runs the local storehouse for the South Florida region. Here is part 1 and part 2 of the series.
The Houston Chronicle's Heather Hemingway recently wrote about members' efforts in Texas to be prepared for hurricane season.
"Hopefully, hurricanes will steer clear of the Houston area this year and in years to come," Hemingway wrote. "Yet, I feel much more at ease knowing that no matter what disaster may come our way, the LDS Church — along with our government leaders and other faith and service organizations — will use its resources to render assistance to those in our community who are in need."
In March, Dave Simpson of the Pekin Daily Times in Illinois agreed with the age-old advice of the Boy Scouts of America: "Be Prepared."
"My neighbor at the time, a Mormon who followed his church’s policy of keeping a supply of food on hand, asked me, 'Do you think it’s crazy to store food for emergencies?' 'Nope,' I replied," Simpson wrote. "I’m with the Mormons and the Boy Scouts on this one."
A site called "Mind & Soul" published an article that offers LDS insight on being prepared, self-reliance, possible resources, and provident living.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 36
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Over half a million people attended... 4
- 5 unusual places of worship 4
- Pope Francis to marry couples with... 3