For several decades, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been encouraged to keep a year's supply of food and other supplies in the event of an emergency.
This idea has intrigued the media in recent months and several outlets have published articles on the topic.
In this Broward Palm Beach New Times two-part series by Stefan Kamph, the writer interviewed Elder Mark Brown, who runs the local storehouse for the South Florida region. Here is part 1 and part 2 of the series.
The Houston Chronicle's Heather Hemingway recently wrote about members' efforts in Texas to be prepared for hurricane season.
"Hopefully, hurricanes will steer clear of the Houston area this year and in years to come," Hemingway wrote. "Yet, I feel much more at ease knowing that no matter what disaster may come our way, the LDS Church — along with our government leaders and other faith and service organizations — will use its resources to render assistance to those in our community who are in need."
In March, Dave Simpson of the Pekin Daily Times in Illinois agreed with the age-old advice of the Boy Scouts of America: "Be Prepared."
"My neighbor at the time, a Mormon who followed his church’s policy of keeping a supply of food on hand, asked me, 'Do you think it’s crazy to store food for emergencies?' 'Nope,' I replied," Simpson wrote. "I’m with the Mormons and the Boy Scouts on this one."
A site called "Mind & Soul" published an article that offers LDS insight on being prepared, self-reliance, possible resources, and provident living.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but serves...
- Defending the Faith: The very surprising...
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple cart
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 106
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 39
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 39
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 37
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Defending the Faith: The very... 22
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland posts picture... 16
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they... 15