For several decades, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been encouraged to keep a year's supply of food and other supplies in the event of an emergency.
This idea has intrigued the media in recent months and several outlets have published articles on the topic.
In this Broward Palm Beach New Times two-part series by Stefan Kamph, the writer interviewed Elder Mark Brown, who runs the local storehouse for the South Florida region. Here is part 1 and part 2 of the series.
The Houston Chronicle's Heather Hemingway recently wrote about members' efforts in Texas to be prepared for hurricane season.
"Hopefully, hurricanes will steer clear of the Houston area this year and in years to come," Hemingway wrote. "Yet, I feel much more at ease knowing that no matter what disaster may come our way, the LDS Church — along with our government leaders and other faith and service organizations — will use its resources to render assistance to those in our community who are in need."
In March, Dave Simpson of the Pekin Daily Times in Illinois agreed with the age-old advice of the Boy Scouts of America: "Be Prepared."
"My neighbor at the time, a Mormon who followed his church’s policy of keeping a supply of food on hand, asked me, 'Do you think it’s crazy to store food for emergencies?' 'Nope,' I replied," Simpson wrote. "I’m with the Mormons and the Boy Scouts on this one."
A site called "Mind & Soul" published an article that offers LDS insight on being prepared, self-reliance, possible resources, and provident living.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Seventh-day Adventist leader calls on family...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- After government topples crosses in China,...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 65
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 50
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 32
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 24
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- After government topples crosses in... 11