For several decades, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been encouraged to keep a year's supply of food and other supplies in the event of an emergency.
This idea has intrigued the media in recent months and several outlets have published articles on the topic.
In this Broward Palm Beach New Times two-part series by Stefan Kamph, the writer interviewed Elder Mark Brown, who runs the local storehouse for the South Florida region. Here is part 1 and part 2 of the series.
The Houston Chronicle's Heather Hemingway recently wrote about members' efforts in Texas to be prepared for hurricane season.
"Hopefully, hurricanes will steer clear of the Houston area this year and in years to come," Hemingway wrote. "Yet, I feel much more at ease knowing that no matter what disaster may come our way, the LDS Church — along with our government leaders and other faith and service organizations — will use its resources to render assistance to those in our community who are in need."
In March, Dave Simpson of the Pekin Daily Times in Illinois agreed with the age-old advice of the Boy Scouts of America: "Be Prepared."
"My neighbor at the time, a Mormon who followed his church’s policy of keeping a supply of food on hand, asked me, 'Do you think it’s crazy to store food for emergencies?' 'Nope,' I replied," Simpson wrote. "I’m with the Mormons and the Boy Scouts on this one."
A site called "Mind & Soul" published an article that offers LDS insight on being prepared, self-reliance, possible resources, and provident living.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- Thousands gather for LDS Women's Meeting
- Defending the Faith: Thinking clearly about...
- President Uchtdorf: 'Live the gospel joyful'
- LDS general conference marks 90th, 65th...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- Defending the Faith: Thinking clearly... 92
- New Jersey teen to join fight against... 62
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 13
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Y. forum speaker focuses defending the... 6
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3