An evening of music and entertainment will attempt to bring a “Light of Hope” to hundreds — and possibly thousands — of young people.
With Alex Boye headlining and popular artists Freddie Ashby, Clyde Bawden and Firefly appearing, the Friday, May 18, event will benefit One Life at a Time, a nonprofit organization that addresses the issues of poverty and unemployment in Central America and other third-world countries.
Organized in 2003, OLAAT takes a unique approach to breaking the poverty cycle, as young people do service to “earn” their specialized vocational and college prep education and eventual job placement, according to founder Ross Farnsworth Jr. of Mesa, Ariz.
OLAAT currently operates three Business Institutes of Technology in Central America — two in Honduras and one in Nicaragua.
To date, OLAAT has 2,300 graduates, placed 1,952 in jobs, performed over 160,000 hours of service and provided resources for 1,100 youths to prepare for missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
“Alex Boye is the perfect headliner for our benefit event in Utah,” says board member Bruce Hough of Sandy. “Alex has an international appeal and an amazing talent. He also has a real desire to give back in a way that will truly benefit others’ lives, which is what OLAAT’s entire mission is poised to do.”
In his 15-year performing career, Alex Boye’ has sold more than half a million CDs and performed alongside top musicians. His music has been featured on several movie soundtracks and two solo songs were featured on the new Mormon Tabernacle Choir album "Come Thou Fount," which reached No. 1 in the Billboard Classical Charts.
The Light of Hope Celebration be May 18 at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. With Dan Clark as emcee, the event will introduce OLAAT’s mission and some of its Utah principals, including board member Merrill Bateman, who will present a special service award to Lester Moore and awards to distinguished donors like Robert C. Gay and Rodney Hawes.
A VIP reception and silent auction will take place at 6 p.m., with the concert at 7. All proceeds will go to One Life at a Time. Sponsorship tickets in blocks of 10 and individual tickets are available by calling Smith’s Tix at 800-888-8499 or online at smithstix.com. For information, visit www.olaat.org.
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 98
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 89
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 34
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 33
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 28
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22