In a pot, heat water while adding next three ingredients. Bring to boil; simmer, covered, until barley is tender, about 35 minutes. (For presoaked barley, cook 15 minutes.) Add rest of ingredients, except chicken or turkey, and simmer 10 minutes until flavors are blended. Add meat and heat through. Serves 6-8.
― “Emergency Food Storage in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition,” Leslie Probert and Lisa Harkness
Chicken, Corn and Barley Salad
1½ cups water
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
½ cup uncooked barley
1 (15-ounce) can corn, drained
1 (10- or 12-ounce) can chicken chunks, drained and broken up
2 teaspoons dried onions*
2 teaspoons dried parsley
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons bottled lime juice
1 teaspoon honey
½ teaspoon hot sauce
In a saucepan, bring water and chicken bouillon to boil; add barley and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. (For presoaked barley, cook 20-25 minutes.) Cool. In a bowl, combine barley and rest of salad ingredients. In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Toss and serve. Serves 4-5.
*Dried onions are added to salads in place of green onions. For best flavor, they are not hydrated, and they add a little crunch.
Leslie Probert, a graduate in home economics from Brigham Young University, has been a speaker and is co-author of "Emergency Food Storage in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition" with more than 400 fast recipes. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- LDS World: Receiving comfort in our afflictions
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Returned Mormon missionaries in college...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 84
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 60
- When Satan steals your motherhood 46
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 21
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after... 14
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from... 13