In a pot, heat water while adding next three ingredients. Bring to boil; simmer, covered, until barley is tender, about 35 minutes. (For presoaked barley, cook 15 minutes.) Add rest of ingredients, except chicken or turkey, and simmer 10 minutes until flavors are blended. Add meat and heat through. Serves 6-8.
― “Emergency Food Storage in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition,” Leslie Probert and Lisa Harkness
Chicken, Corn and Barley Salad
1½ cups water
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
½ cup uncooked barley
1 (15-ounce) can corn, drained
1 (10- or 12-ounce) can chicken chunks, drained and broken up
2 teaspoons dried onions*
2 teaspoons dried parsley
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons bottled lime juice
1 teaspoon honey
½ teaspoon hot sauce
In a saucepan, bring water and chicken bouillon to boil; add barley and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. (For presoaked barley, cook 20-25 minutes.) Cool. In a bowl, combine barley and rest of salad ingredients. In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Toss and serve. Serves 4-5.
*Dried onions are added to salads in place of green onions. For best flavor, they are not hydrated, and they add a little crunch.
Leslie Probert, a graduate in home economics from Brigham Young University, has been a speaker and is co-author of "Emergency Food Storage in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition" with more than 400 fast recipes. EMAIL: email@example.com
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Genealogy: A journal has many uses
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 39
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 25
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 21
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 17
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 16
- Space and religion: How believers view... 11