Man, 36, pleads guilty to extorting BYU student for sex, money
PROVO — A 36-year-old man accused of trying to extort sexual favors and money from an engaged BYU student was sentenced to jail Thursday.
Brad Ray Adams pleaded guilty to theft by extortion and attempted theft by extortion, both class B misdemeanors, and was immediately sentenced to 15 days in jail and one year probation by 4th District Judge Claudia Laycock.
He was also ordered to pay a $636 fine and $260 in restitution to the 21-year-old student.
In exchange for Adams' plea, additional charges of forcible sodomy, a first-degree felony, and voyeurism by electronic equipment, a class A misdemeanor, were dismissed.
Adams was arrested March 6. Provo police reported that Adams met the 21-year-old man Feb. 22 on Craigslist and the two began communicating via email and text messages. The Brigham Young University student allegedly sent "compromising" photos to Adams and the two met in Orem and had consensual sex.
According to police, the younger man then told Adams he wanted to cut off contact with him, but Adams allegedly threatened the victim, telling him he wanted sex or money or he would tell the victim's fiancee, family, friends and BYU Honor Code office about their contact. The victim gave Adams $260 hoping to end contact, but Adams persisted, telling the victim he wanted either $800 or $600 and sex, police said.
The victim contacted Provo police and on March 6, under police direction, offered Adams $800 in exchange for the compromising photos. After the exchange, officers took Adams into custody.
Adams was sentenced to two terms of 180 days in jail that were suspended. If he fails on probation, he may have to serve the additional jail time.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Zion National Park to hold public meetings on...
- National Guard trains in Denver to respond to...
- Utah defends busting theater for serving...
- Lawyers for victim in teacher sex case...
- Polynesians refused service at Utah bar...
- Drug deal messages pop up on tablet parents...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- National conservative group backs... 15