Steven Powell not likely to take stand in own defense
Ted S. Warren, AP
TACOMA, Wash. — Steven Powell will apparently not take the witness stand in his own defense during his trial on charges of voyeurism and child pornography next week.
Powell's defense team submitted its witness list this week to the Pierce County Superior Court in preparation for his upcoming trial on 14 counts of voyeurism and one count of possession of materials of minors engaged in explicit conduct. The list includes just two people, Glenn Glover and Dave La Tourette, private investigators for Powell's defense team.
Steven Powell is not listed as a potential person to take the stand.
Jury selection for Powell's trial begins Monday in Tacoma. He is accused of taking pictures of two neighbor girls, then ages 8 and 10, through an open window into their bathroom without their knowledge in 2006 and 2007. Police say the pictures were taken secretly without the subjects' knowledge or consent.
The witness list for the prosecution is significantly longer, including 20 members of the West Valley Police Department, the Pierce County Sheriff's Office and Jennifer Graves, the estranged daughter of Steven Powell. Prosecutors say they do not intend to call everyone on their list to the stand.
Steven Powell is the father of Josh Powell, who killed himself and his two children in February and is suspected in the disappearance of his wife, Susan Cox Powell.
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Tino, the king of Hogle Zoo's jungle, is...
- 2 killed in auto accident on I-80 in Summit...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 40
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 24
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 21
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17