Ronald Martinez, Getty Images
SAN ANTONIO — Game 4 of the 1998 NBA Finals has a 21st century rival for worst game in Utah Jazz playoff history.
The Jazz were hounded, hammered and humiliated by the San Antonio Spurs — and that was just the first half at the AT&T Center.
When the final buzzer finally blared its merciful sound, the Jazz were on the extremely short end of a 114-83 rout in Game 2. The Spurs will take a 2-0 series lead into Utah for Game 3 on Saturday.
Utah fell behind quickly, missing its first seven shots en route to an early 17-4 deficit.
It got better for the Jazz momentarily — but then it got much, much, MUCH worse.
Derrick Favors and Paul Millsap led a temporary charge as the Jazz cut the Spurs' lead to five at 31-26.
In order, Favors and then the Jazz were taken out of the game.
After Favors exited and Al Jefferson entered, San Antonio went on a massive 20-0 run, hitting four 3-pointers and simply blowing the Jazz out of the building.
Remember the Alamo?
More like, forget the AT&T Center.
Things didn't get any better in the second half. The Spurs outscored Utah 34-25 in the third quarter, adding another bucket of salt to this open wound.
It wasn't the Big Three that doomed Utah, either.
Early on, when it mattered most, it was the Tiny Two of Danny Green (13 first-half points) and Kawhi Leonard (12 of his 17 in the opening half) who did the most early damage.
Seven Spurs ended up in double figures, led by Tony Parker's 18 points and nine assists.
Utah shot 23.4 percent from the field through the first two quarters and finished with still-dismal 34.4 percent shooting.
Only two Jazz players hit double figures — Josh Howard and Big Al with 10 points apiece.
The Jazz scored 17 points in the first quarter and just 11 in the second.
And about that 1998 Finals game? The Jazz were blown out of that championship series game 14 years ago, 96-54.
Perhaps giving Jazz fans some hope, Utah did play better in Game 4 (losing by four) and actually won Game 5 in Chicago.
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- BYU football: Cougars agree to home-and-home...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 140
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 105
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 88
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 44
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 25
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 24