Davis said considering all the research that was being conducted all over the country, the student researchers at the University of Utah were fortunate to have gotten started at the "right time and pointed in the right direction by a very talented bunch of faculty members."
He studied in Utah along with Catmull and Warnock, and Evans and Sutherland, whom he considers the true leaders of the computer graphics movement. Evans & Sutherland's eponymous company was formed in 1968. Their vision made them the first to draw pictures with computers, giving birth to the modern computer graphics industry.
Warnock held key positions at Evans & Sutherland prior to establishing Adobe.
"Utah has an amazing legacy of computer graphics," said Robert Kessler, EAE program director. "A lot of people say it's the birthplace of graphics."
Kessler said that many applications the school receives to its graduate programs in computer science come because of the strong reputation the school has for graphics.
"We are absolutely, positively the beneficiaries of (that reputation)," he said.
General commencement ceremonies at the University of Utah are Friday, 9 a.m., in the Jon M. Huntsman Center. The degrees to be awarded include 5,513 bachelor’s degrees; 1,976 master’s degrees; 600, doctorates; 131 juris doctorates; 100 are doctors of medicine; and 46 are doctors of pharmacy.
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- Google taking steps toward robot creation
- DeseretNews.com reaches page view milestone;...
- 4 charged in year-long copper thefts at Utah...
- 'Intern Queen' to share advice on college...
- Green energy option in Logan points to a need...
- Children's museum celebrates 35 years of play
- Obama declares health care law is... 21
- Intermountain Healthcare offering... 15
- Start thinking about retirement while... 7
- Amazon's latest idea may make online... 6
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday... 5
- About Utah: A cheesy way to save the farm 4
- DeseretNews.com reaches page view... 4
- Collecting online sales tax puts Utah... 3