'Newt's greatest hits': new Obama ad compiles clips of Gingrich bashing Romney
RICHARD SHIRO, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Newt Gingrich officially ends his presidential campaign on Wednesday, and rumors persist that he might even endorse likely Republican nominee Mitt Romney.
On such an occasion, it should come as no surprise that President Barack Obama's campaign wants to ensure no one forgets all those nasty things Newt said out on the campaign trail about Mitt.
So on Tuesday the Obama campaign released "Newt Gingrich: Frankly, not Mitt Romney's biggest supporter," an 87-second ad that showcases Gingrich's most audacious critiques of Romney.
"Talk about low-hanging fruit," the Christian Science Monitor's Linda Feldmann wrote. "All the Obama camp needed to do was collect the most pungent of Gingrich’s attacks on Mr. Romney during primary debates and interviews, add a heavy dose of sarcasm and stir."
Despite Gingrich's documented history of zealous Romney bashing, some experts believe the former House speaker will still play an important role in the 2012 presidential election.
USA Today reported on Tuesday, "Some political analysts say Gingrich will play (an) important role in Romney's quest for the White House. 'There are still fences to mend,' Bob Vander Plaats of the Family Leader, a group of social conservatives, (said). 'The base is very inspired to defeat Barack Obama but the base is very uninspired to elect Gov. Romney.'"
Newt Gingrich: not a big fan of Mitt Romney
The Obama campaign has a new ad out that shows clips of Newt at his contemptuous best, taking shots at Romney over issues like Bain Capitol and Swiss bank accounts.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Police, protesters collide again in Ferguson
- Another American hostage at risk by Islamic...
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered legal...
- Colleges add luxury touches to new football...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Facebook makes the most obvious move ever...
- Want to increase attraction in your...
- Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is... 22
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 22
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Police, protesters collide again in... 21
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 20
- Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for... 19
- Police identify Missouri officer who... 16
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14