'Newt's greatest hits': new Obama ad compiles clips of Gingrich bashing Romney
RICHARD SHIRO, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Newt Gingrich officially ends his presidential campaign on Wednesday, and rumors persist that he might even endorse likely Republican nominee Mitt Romney.
On such an occasion, it should come as no surprise that President Barack Obama's campaign wants to ensure no one forgets all those nasty things Newt said out on the campaign trail about Mitt.
So on Tuesday the Obama campaign released "Newt Gingrich: Frankly, not Mitt Romney's biggest supporter," an 87-second ad that showcases Gingrich's most audacious critiques of Romney.
"Talk about low-hanging fruit," the Christian Science Monitor's Linda Feldmann wrote. "All the Obama camp needed to do was collect the most pungent of Gingrich’s attacks on Mr. Romney during primary debates and interviews, add a heavy dose of sarcasm and stir."
Despite Gingrich's documented history of zealous Romney bashing, some experts believe the former House speaker will still play an important role in the 2012 presidential election.
USA Today reported on Tuesday, "Some political analysts say Gingrich will play (an) important role in Romney's quest for the White House. 'There are still fences to mend,' Bob Vander Plaats of the Family Leader, a group of social conservatives, (said). 'The base is very inspired to defeat Barack Obama but the base is very uninspired to elect Gov. Romney.'"
Newt Gingrich: not a big fan of Mitt Romney
The Obama campaign has a new ad out that shows clips of Newt at his contemptuous best, taking shots at Romney over issues like Bain Capitol and Swiss bank accounts.
- Washington school gunman was Homecoming...
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an...
- New York, New Jersey order Ebola quarantine...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Suspect from Salt Lake City arrested in death...
- NYC police commissioner: Hatchet attack was...
- Boko Haram agrees to release abducted girls
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 116
- California orders churches, others to... 28
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 24
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 13
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- Washington school gunman was Homecoming... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an... 8