Sen. Orrin Hatch will be 'special adviser' to Mitt Romney's campaign
Laura Seitz, Deseret News archives
Sen. Orrin Hatch will be a "key strategic policy adviser" for Mitt Romney's presidential campaign, Hatch's campaign revealed in a Wednesday press release.
"Romney has endorsed Hatch, the ranking member on the Senate Finance Committee, for re-election this fall," the press release detailed. "In the role of 'special adviser on policy,' Hatch will serve as a surrogate for the Romney campaign and provide strategic policy advice on key economic issues."
News that Hatch is joining Team Romney effectively eclipses statements made on Tuesday by Dan Liljenquist, Hatch's opponent in the June 26 GOP Senate primary, asserting that Utah's senior senator wants to avoid a third debate with Liljenquist.
The two opponents debated twice prior to the state Republican convention on April 21, when Liljenquist narrowly forced Hatch into a primary for the first time since 1976.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 132
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 103
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 74
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35