Sen. Orrin Hatch will be 'special adviser' to Mitt Romney's campaign
Laura Seitz, Deseret News archives
Sen. Orrin Hatch will be a "key strategic policy adviser" for Mitt Romney's presidential campaign, Hatch's campaign revealed in a Wednesday press release.
"Romney has endorsed Hatch, the ranking member on the Senate Finance Committee, for re-election this fall," the press release detailed. "In the role of 'special adviser on policy,' Hatch will serve as a surrogate for the Romney campaign and provide strategic policy advice on key economic issues."
News that Hatch is joining Team Romney effectively eclipses statements made on Tuesday by Dan Liljenquist, Hatch's opponent in the June 26 GOP Senate primary, asserting that Utah's senior senator wants to avoid a third debate with Liljenquist.
The two opponents debated twice prior to the state Republican convention on April 21, when Liljenquist narrowly forced Hatch into a primary for the first time since 1976.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13