Kim Cowart: Reasons to Run: Thanksgiving Point Half Marathon: Fun for the whole family
The last half mile of the half marathon course merged with the 5K course. Because of the timing of the races, many half marathoners ran into the back of the 5K pack. Just when I wanted to throw down the gauntlet, I found myself dodging around runners, walkers and kids. Not only did this merge slow many of us down, but it also made for an anticlimatic end. Each distance deserves its own finish.
The finishers' area was fantastic in terms of the sweet treats runners love to gobble up. There was no shortage of chocolate milk, garlic bread, bread from Great Harvest, cookies, even soup! But the area was crowded. I would have liked to have lingered longer, but I just needed to get out and stretch. Again, with two races finishing at the same time, it quickly became too congested.
Last, there was a point on the course that was poorly marked. Some runners even found themselves running in the wrong direction. With so many turns, it’s crucial to make sure each and every one is marked appropriately. Even one sign slightly off can ruin a person’s race.
Overall, this is one stellar race. The organizers have done a fantastic job. The rewards for running this challenging course are worth every hilly step. Put this one on your to do list for 2013 and I’ll see you next year.
Kim Cowart is a wife, mother, 24-Hour Fitness instructor, marathoner and proud mother of two runners on the making.
- Hundreds pray, fast for Utah boy burned over...
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- 5 rules for a happy marriage
- Where to watch free summer outdoor movies in...
- The Clean Cut: Disney World surprise gone wrong
- Colbie Caillat tells women they are more than...
- Report: Some Utah babies more at risk of...
- The Clean Cut: Put down your phone, pick up...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 64
- Erin Stewart: Stumbling blocks to adoption 14
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: A 12-year-old... 13
- Parents of eight children both have... 9
- Why your doctor wants you to read aloud... 5
- 5 rules for a happy marriage 4
- Hundreds pray, fast for Utah boy burned... 4
- Report: Some Utah babies more at risk... 3