OREM -- Utah Valley University takes a short break from Great West Conference action to host BYU on Tuesday at 6 p.m. at Brent Brown Ballpark. It will be the only meeting between the neighboring schools this season and can be heard live on 960 AM the Zone.
The Wolverines (30-11, 16-0 GWC) enter Tuesday's contest with the nation's longest winning streak at 23 games after sweeping a weekend Great West series from NJIT to wrap up a perfect, 18-0, month of April.
Senior Jake Rickenbach was named the Great West Conference Offensive Player of the Week on Monday after tying an NCAA record for consecutive times on base. Rickenbach reached base 18 straight times during a four-game stretch while also extending his hitting streak to a school-record-tying 24 games. He went 8-for-13 (.615) with a .750 on-base percentage and also scored eight runs against NJIT.
Goose Kallunki leads the nation with 60 runs batted in and is first among all GWC players and 10th nationally with a .407 batting average. He also ranks 13th in the country with 12 home runs. Sean Moysh and Billy Burgess are also among the top 10 nationally in runs scored. Moysh ranks seventh with 51 runs and Burgess is ninth with 50.
Last week, BYU (18-17, 7-5 WCC) nearly came from behind to knock off No. 7 Stanford in a mid-week game before dropping two of three in a close West Coast Conference series at San Francisco. The Cougars are led by Tanner Chauncey's .330 batting average.
BYU won the only meeting between the clubs in 2011 after the teams split two games the prior season.
Following Tuesday's game, the Wolverines will travel to Houston Baptist for a four-game GWC series beginning Friday at 1 p.m. MT.
PROMOTIONS: The first 1,000 fans in attendance will receive a free box of Cracker Jack courtesy of UCCU ... and prior to the top of the fourth inning, UVU and Brent Brown Toyota Scion will unveil the newly-wrapped Toyota Scion, the winner of the Wolverine iQ Scholarship Competition.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50