BYU baseball: Cougars face huge week with games against UVU, No. 19 San Diego
PROVO — One of the biggest weeks for BYU baseball finds the Cougars back in home territory as it plays Utah Valley University and No. 19 San Diego.
BYU (18-17, 7-5) hosts league-leading San Diego (33-11, 10-5) in a three-game series starting Thursday, but first it plays Tuesday at UVU (30-11) at 6 p.m., in Orem.
UVU has a 23-game winning streak, preceded by the only game it lost in the Beehive State this season against Sacramento State on March 22.
“Utah Valley is playing with a great deal of confidence and has some nice wins,” BYU coach Vance Law said. “That game prepares us for a huge series with San Diego.”
The Cougars are a game-and-a-half behind first-place San Diego. Game times are Thursday and Friday at 6 p.m., followed by a noon tilt on Saturday.
“We can make up some ground if we play well,” Law said. “They have some outstanding performers and have a great tradition.”
USD has a preseason All-American third baseman in Kris Bryant, who was recently named to Team USA, and the nation’s leader in saves, Michael Wagner with 19.
USD is the only West Coast Conference opponent that Law has not competed against. The Cougars are hopeful any of their seven pitchers who each have one league victory thus far can secure a second WCC win.
All of the BYU-USD games will be televised live by BYUtv and by 960 AM and BYU Radio on the Internet.
Fans are invited to help Pitch-in for Baseball. Bring a used piece of baseball equipment (ball, bat, glove, catcher's gear, helmet, etc.) to any game during the San Diego weekend May 3-5 and receive free admission.
Equipment barrels will be ready at the entrance. Drop in your gear and receive a free admission ticket. Pitch-in for Baseball is a foundation that facilitates baseball gear donation to needy communities around the world.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No. 23 in...
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6 seasons, but...
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia team...
- Ziggy Ansah helps homeless man after he was...
- Dick Harmon: BYU safeties Craig Bills, Dallin...
- Brad Rock: Expect back to the future with...
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback...
- Utah State batters Wake Forest but loses...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 126
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 47
- Peavler: BYU knows it can't afford to... 42
- Dick Harmon: Leap of faith takes on... 39
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 36
- BYU football report card: Mostly B's... 35
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 35