Former Patrick Henry Caucus pals moving on without each other
Carl Wimmer, Stephen Sandstrom convention differences still smoldering
But Sandstrom isn't so sure. The lines might have been drawn with Wimmer in mind, he said. "I think there were some politics involved there."
Before state lawmakers set the congressional boundaries last fall, Sandstrom planned to run in the 3rd District — his home district — because Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, hinted at a run for U.S. Senate, which would have opened that seat. When Chaffetz didn't go that direction, Sandstrom had to decide between the 2nd and 4th districts.
Sandstrom initially filed in the 2nd District but changed his mind because he didn't want to move to Salt Lake County. His switch to the 4th District, and moving his home from Orem to Saratoga Springs (where Love is now his mayor), also upset Wimmer.
Wimmer said Sandstrom told him he was running in the 3rd District. Sandstrom said that's because Chaffetz told him he was running for Senate.
And so it goes.
And it could come around again in two years if Matheson wins the election. Neither Wimmer nor Sandstrom say they're done with politics.
Sandstrom said there's a "distinct possibility" he would run if the 4th District if Matheson is there. Said Wimmer, "If (Love) doesn't win, I'll be waiting in the wings."
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Impeachment investigation 'highly likely,'...
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not...
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- Attorney General John Swallow tells House...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview creates...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 29
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 21
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20