Following extensive remodeling and expansion, the Buenos Aires Argentina Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be open for public tours prior to its rededication during three special sessions on Sunday, Sept. 9.
The temple open house will begin Saturday, Aug. 4, and continue through Saturday, Aug. 25, excluding Sundays. On Saturday, Sept. 8, the temple's rededication will be celebrated during a special cultural celebration featuring music and dance.
Once the temple is rededicated, it will no longer be available for public tours. As with all LDS temples, the dedicated building will be open only to LDS Church members who have been recommended by their local ecclesiastical leaders. Conversely, local LDS meetinghouses, where weekly worship services are held, are open to the public.
Located in the western suburb of Ciudad Evita, the Buenos Aires Argentina Temple has been in operation since January 1986, when it was dedicated by President Thomas S. Monson just two months after he was set apart as a counselor in the LDS Church's First Presidency. At the time it was one of 39 LDS temples in operation around the world, the fourth in South America and the first in Argentina.
Since then, another LDS temple, in Cordoba, has been built in Argentina. There are now a total of 20 temples in South America.
The renovation and expansion of the Buenos Aires Argentina Temple has been under way since November 2009. With the additions, the temple will now feature three major wings extending from a central foyer.
There are also a Missionary Training Center and a patron housing facility on the same three-acre site as the temple.
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Clark Gilbert named new president of BYU-Idaho
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- 'Studio C' cast talks to LDS teens about...
- See why this Christian mother is giving up...
- LDS Church's official website to evolve over...
- LDS mission president's wife dies
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 173
- Hamblin & Peterson: Bible wars among... 42
- See why this woman's decision not to... 41
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 35
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks... 33
- LDS statement could move Utah... 25
- See why this Christian mother is giving... 13
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12