RIVERTON — A man who police say shot at his wife during a domestic dispute was found dead inside his home nearly 10 hours later of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
A Unified police SWAT team had surrounded the house Sunday night after the man barricaded himself inside the house, 4962 W. Duncan Meadow Lane (13430 South), and the standoff went into early Monday morning.
Just before 4 a.m., police sent a robot inside the house after not hearing from the man for several hours. The 31-year-old man was found dead in a bedroom, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The man's name was not immediately released by police pending notification of family members.
The incident began as a domestic verbal argument between the man, who police say had a military background, and his wife on Sunday. After she left the house and was driving away, the man fired a shot at her from the inside of the house, Hoyal said. The woman was not hit.
She called police at 6:17 p.m. Hoyal said the man made threats to shoot police officers and himself. Several homes were evacuated as police attempted to talk the man into a peaceful surrender.
Hoyal said police initially were able to talk to the man using the phone. Throughout the night they attempted to keep talking to the man by using a phone, bullhorn and other means of communication.
Evacuated residents were allowed back into their homes shortly after 4 a.m.
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 37
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 32
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 25
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22