RIVERTON — A man who police say shot at his wife during a domestic dispute was found dead inside his home nearly 10 hours later of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
A Unified police SWAT team had surrounded the house Sunday night after the man barricaded himself inside the house, 4962 W. Duncan Meadow Lane (13430 South), and the standoff went into early Monday morning.
Just before 4 a.m., police sent a robot inside the house after not hearing from the man for several hours. The 31-year-old man was found dead in a bedroom, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The man's name was not immediately released by police pending notification of family members.
The incident began as a domestic verbal argument between the man, who police say had a military background, and his wife on Sunday. After she left the house and was driving away, the man fired a shot at her from the inside of the house, Hoyal said. The woman was not hit.
She called police at 6:17 p.m. Hoyal said the man made threats to shoot police officers and himself. Several homes were evacuated as police attempted to talk the man into a peaceful surrender.
Hoyal said police initially were able to talk to the man using the phone. Throughout the night they attempted to keep talking to the man by using a phone, bullhorn and other means of communication.
Evacuated residents were allowed back into their homes shortly after 4 a.m.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 20
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14