Book review: 'Motherhood Matters' is a simple yet enlightening book
"MOTHERHOOD MATTERS: Joyful Reminders of the Divinity, Reality, and Rewards of Motherhood," by Connie E. Sokol, Cedar Fort, $12.99, 128 pages (nf)
“Motherhood Matters: Joyful Reminders of the Divinity, Reality, and Rewards of Motherhood” by Connie E. Sokol is a simple but enlightening book about the satisfaction of motherhood.
“Motherhood Matters” begins with an introduction by the author. Sokol explains how she felt when she found out she was pregnant with her seventh child. Though she was tempted to cry, Sokol decided to turn to her Heavenly Father in prayer. After she poured her heart out to God, Sokol received a profound sense of gratitude for the joys of motherhood.
The book is comprised of small chapters with headings like “There Is No Perfect Mother” and “The Influences of Good Mothers.” Telling many personal experiences and the experiences of Mormon leaders, Sokol explains why motherhood is such a sacred and divine calling.
The book's strength is its simplicity. It is a “joyful reminder” to women to press forward and rear their children in righteousness and faith.
The most poignant part in the book is when Sokol reminds mothers that they are doing much better than they think they are. She encourages women not to be so hard on themselves and to always have a positive outlook on life.
Sokol talks about the small moments mothers can have with their children. She encourages mothers to laugh with their children, to rejoice in the passing of a test and to play hopscotch with them.
Overall, “Motherhood Matters” is worth considering for a Mother’s Day gift. It is a book that lets mothers know that their hard work and dedication will never go unnoticed.
Shelby Scoffield is a graduate of Brigham Young University and a graduate student at California State University, Stanislaus.
- Mormon mom battling breast cancer during...
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem
- Wright Words: Founding member of SEAL Team...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay... 72
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- God will give you more than you can... 51
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 30
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a... 25
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile 14
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9
- BYU Cougarettes, National Hip-Hop... 8