Prosecutors not considering plea deal for Steven Powell
The Coxes are also seeking "all written and electronic communications, meeting agendas and minutes, memos, correspondence, reports and information transmitted to or received from the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office, the Pierce County Prosecutor's Office, the West Valley City Mayor's Office and the West Valley City Council."
Although the law does allow police to keep some records sealed, Bremner said "the exemption applies only where disclosure would compromise the investigation or violate an individual's right to privacy. Neither factor is at issue here."
Bremner said the notion that the records should remain sealed because it's still an "ongoing investigation" shouldn't apply because "the subject of the investigation is dead."
"I don't have any reason of substance to believe there's somebody out there where release of the records would compromise their ability to investigate that person. If they're talking about Steven Powell, he's in custody," Bremner said.
Bremner said the Cox family is allowed the same privileges as the defendant. She said the information would be for the Coxes only and not something they would share with the public.
She noted that a lot of information had already been released in the search warrants unsealed in Washington and it did not seem to compromise West Valley's investigation.
Bremner noted that hearing the bits and pieces of information that have come out have been hard on the Coxes and they would like to read a full narration of what police knew for themselves.
The police departments have 10 days to respond to the public records requests.
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 39
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 25
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 23
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 14