Prosecutors not considering plea deal for Steven Powell
The Coxes are also seeking "all written and electronic communications, meeting agendas and minutes, memos, correspondence, reports and information transmitted to or received from the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office, the Pierce County Prosecutor's Office, the West Valley City Mayor's Office and the West Valley City Council."
Although the law does allow police to keep some records sealed, Bremner said "the exemption applies only where disclosure would compromise the investigation or violate an individual's right to privacy. Neither factor is at issue here."
Bremner said the notion that the records should remain sealed because it's still an "ongoing investigation" shouldn't apply because "the subject of the investigation is dead."
"I don't have any reason of substance to believe there's somebody out there where release of the records would compromise their ability to investigate that person. If they're talking about Steven Powell, he's in custody," Bremner said.
Bremner said the Cox family is allowed the same privileges as the defendant. She said the information would be for the Coxes only and not something they would share with the public.
She noted that a lot of information had already been released in the search warrants unsealed in Washington and it did not seem to compromise West Valley's investigation.
Bremner noted that hearing the bits and pieces of information that have come out have been hard on the Coxes and they would like to read a full narration of what police knew for themselves.
The police departments have 10 days to respond to the public records requests.
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Canceled Utah race renews fears of shrinking...
- Is report on building prison in Draper...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean feds...
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 84
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 43
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 29
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 19
- Mural on side of restaurant violates... 12
- Democrat Doug Owens ready for rematch... 12
- Mike Lee pushes forward with plan for... 12