FEC resolves 2010 'Temple mailer' case
Piece depicted former, future senators next to capitol, LDS edifice
SALT LAKE CITY — The case of the "Temple mailer" circulated in the 2010 U.S. Senate race has been resolved by the Federal Election Commission.
In a negotiated agreement on file with the FEC, the group created to distribute the controversial mailer, the Utah Defenders of Constitutional Integrity, was assessed a $1,400 fine and ordered to file disclosure reports.
The mailer, sent out just days before the 2010 GOP state convention, pictured then-Sen. Bob Bennett next to the U.S. Capitol and one of his opponents, now-Sen. Mike Lee, next to the Mormon temple in Salt Lake City.
The front of the mailer also raised the question, "Which candidate really has Utah values?" On the back, it urged Republican delegates to "release Bennett with a vote of thanks and extend the call to someone new."
Although the mailer appeared to be in support of Lee, who eventually won the seat, a former Bennett employee, Tim Stewart, was identified as being behind it.
Supporters of Lee filed the complaint with the FEC over the mailer that resulted in the agreement signed in March and recently made public.
It was Stewart who signed the agreement with the FEC. The agreement stated he spent $3,500 of his own money toward the cost of the mailer, in excess of the $1,000 threshold for reporting the expenditure.
He was also cited for failing to register and fill disclosure reports with the FEC and for not including contact information for the group on the mailer.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- GOP delegates reject changes to nominating...
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong weeks...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Early diagnosis may be key in slowing...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 65
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 46
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 27
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 27
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 20
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 15
- Swallow headlines spark question:... 12