Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — In a somewhat meaningless regular-season finale, rookie guard Alec Burks scored a career-high 18 points to help give the Utah Jazz a 96-94 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers on Thursday night at EnergySolutions Arena.
With the Jazz preparing for their first-round playoff series that starts Sunday at San Antonio, starting forward Paul Millsap sat out Thursday's game and Utah's other starters played most of the first quarter, then sat down and turned the rest of the night over to the reserves.
Derrick Favors added 15 points and five rebounds, Jeremy Evans contributed 13 points — including several crowd-pleasing dunks — along with 10 rebounds and three blocked shots, and Josh Howard and Enes Kanter chipped in with a dozen points apiece. Kanter also had 10 rebounds and two blocks, and Howard had six boards.
For Portland, which finished its disappointing season at 28-38, J.J. Hickson had 20 points and nine rebounds, while Jonny Flynn added 18 points and 11 assists. Nolan Smith contributed 16 points and seven assists, former Jazzman Wesley Matthews added 14 points and Kurt Thomas chipped in with 10 points.
Utah (36-30) finished the season with five straight wins to claim the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference playoffs. The Jazz will face the top-seeded Spurs in Game 1 of their best-of-seven series on Sunday; tipoff time is still to be determined.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 49
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26