No charges will be filed against Cottonwood football coach Josh Lyman, attorney says
, KSL TV
SALT LAKE CITY — An attorney for the Cottonwood High School head football coach accused of misconduct said prosecutors have informed him that no criminal charges will be filed against his client.
Last week, Josh Lyman was placed on paid administrative leave after the Granite School District said students told school officials he had inappropriate physical contact with a female student.
"The (Salt Lake County) District Attorney's Office notified me that they have declined to file charges," Ed Brass said Thursday.
Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill wouldn't confirm the information, saying a final decision would be announced Friday.
"It's been terrible for him. You can imagine what it would be like to be accused of these things with no basis for the accusation," Brass said. "I don't want to say he's relieved or elated because those aren't proper descriptions. He's exhausted. He's had to hide out and lay low."
Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley said Thursday that Lyman remains on leave pending the outcome of a separate administrative investigation.
Lyman, 32, was shattered by the allegations which came out of the blue, Brass said. While the coach knows the girl from school, he strongly denied having any relationship or social contact with her.
Lyman, a former wide receiver at the University of Utah, was promoted from assistant to head coach prior to the 2010 season. He graduated from Skyline High School in 1997 and was part of three state title teams. He played football at Dixie State College before walking on at Utah.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 75
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 28
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 23
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 20