Today in the Bloggernacle: Today in the Bloggernacle: New construction pilot program in the Congo
Pilot program: Oh, this is exciting. An LDS Church pilot “Program for Construction” in the Congo in which young returned missionaries and other qualifying church members apprentice to learn construction and management skills. I’ll let these missionaries explain it more: “Here in Kinshasa the church is doing a new pilot program for developing nations. It's very hard to get a job even after you go to school. There are fewer jobs than people looking for work, even for those who are trained. So another alternative will be a great blessing too. This new program is addressing the problem in a completely different direction. They will teach young RMs and other qualifying members construction and management skills. Then these people will work as apprentices in the construction of new church buildings. They'll start small with little walls and baptismal fonts and move on to the construction of 11 new, desperately needed chapels in Kinshasa, Likasi, Lububmashi, Kananga and Luputa. So everybody benefits. After learning these skills, the young men will hopefully be well-qualified to move into the private sector to start their own businesses or work for others. It's a great idea and we're praying for it to work. There is such a tremendous need. We hope that the combination of these two approaches will be a help to build a better future for this younger generation.” Wow! Click in to learn more.
Women’s conference: BYU Women’s Conference is going on right now and even if you cannot attend, you can follow the happenings via the Twitter hashtag #byuwomensconf. Find 140-character excitement for talks, summaries of eventsand even photos of the happenings. Or if you are there, tweet it out!
Sweet service: These videos of Helping Hands Projects are just completely awesome. Here is a slideshow video of missionaries and church members coming together to clean up in Weslaco Texas. It truly is “Sweet, Sweaty Service.”
Friday fun: Oh I do love the Piano Guys, and this “Bourne Meets Vivaldi” mashup is just perfect for some Friday fun. Made me smile and gave me goosebumps. Check it out and then let it be the soundtrack for your weekend
Emily W. Jensen updates "Today in the Bloggernacle" on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, presenting the best from the world of LDS-oriented blog sites. Her extended "Bloggernacle Back Bench" appears on Tuesdays.
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- Sister Reeves celebrates 'The Family,'...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 33
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 16
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 12
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 11
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU... 5