Tom Smart, Deseret News
With today's news that the Bowl Championship Series will undergo major changes in 2014 — including a four-team playoff and the elimination of automatic qualifying status — how does it impact BYU?
On the one hand, getting rid of AQ status is a good thing for the independent Cougars. Being part of an AQ conference was regarded as the main reason to join the Big East last fall, though BYU opted to remain independent.
But will the Cougars ultimately have to belong to a conference in order for inclusion in the new playoff system? There are still plenty of issues to sort out.
While BYU is not directly involved in the BCS discussions taking place this week in Florida, another independent, Notre Dame, is. Fighting Irish athletic director Jack Swarbrick has said that he is "comfortable with Notre Dame's place" in a future 4-team playoff format.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 27
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21