Tom Smart, Deseret News
With today's news that the Bowl Championship Series will undergo major changes in 2014 — including a four-team playoff and the elimination of automatic qualifying status — how does it impact BYU?
On the one hand, getting rid of AQ status is a good thing for the independent Cougars. Being part of an AQ conference was regarded as the main reason to join the Big East last fall, though BYU opted to remain independent.
But will the Cougars ultimately have to belong to a conference in order for inclusion in the new playoff system? There are still plenty of issues to sort out.
While BYU is not directly involved in the BCS discussions taking place this week in Florida, another independent, Notre Dame, is. Fighting Irish athletic director Jack Swarbrick has said that he is "comfortable with Notre Dame's place" in a future 4-team playoff format.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19